Pass Around - PAL Adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Karl G, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Glad you liked it Herm - it's definitely a top tier injector - you deserve one. :happy036:

Herm2502 and Robyflexx like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

First shave with the PAL on its H setting this morning went well. No problem at all getting a smooth finish on the head shave, and the only downside was a bit of irritation under the chin. Next on the to do list is try a trimmed Artist Club blade

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The PAL had been delivered to Chris! On with the next part of the show!

HERM

Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Unfortunately rust has developed on the head so Chris is sending it back to me for whatever TLC I can offer it. :(

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

What is this! Someone spray some scrubbing bubbles on that puppy and keep this train rolling! :transport022:

6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Unless someone has a better resource I'll be using this source as a guide for, hopefully, restoring the PAL to it's former glory. Normally rust should not be an issue with stainless steel but can if the chromium oxide layer is breached (at least according to this source) and then exposed to the elements that normally create rust. Unfortunately the location of the rust may be difficult to remove as it appears it has gotten inside the head. Until I see it first hand (I have seen pics) I can't say for sure what the fate of the razor is. :(
    http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-support-search-content?contentId=16654

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Robyflexx

Rust doesn't render a razor unusable Karl. Come on, we need some hard core soldiers here to shave with a battle scarred PAL Adjustable. Throw that bad boy back into circulation. You nancys :happy097:

Karl G likes this.
  8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I don't want it getting worse and can hopefully restore it first. If that isn't possible then I'll have to write it off and send it back out on it's last hurrah. :)

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. Robyflexx

Now you're talking Karl! :happy036:

10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Then again - I might need to require a notarized statement that the user has had a tetanus shot. :happy088:

MPF9 and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Robyflexx

Or attach a shave at your own risk document absolving you from any responsibility. :D

MPF9 likes this.
  12. Herm2502

Rust? Aw crap, did I break another pass-around? It was cleaned with SB and dried before mailing. Where is, what causes the rust (besides water)?

HERM

13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

From what I read on the link in my post above, the chromium oxide layer can be damaged with chlorides, ammonia, alcohol, and mineral spirits. They recommend soap and water for cleaning. If the chromium oxide layer gets damaged then water left on the surface can cause rust. Left over particles from a cleaning with steel wool or a steel brush can also rust and spread to the surface.

The rust in the pics @Bama Samurai sent is on the corners of the head and seems to be both inside and outside. Cleaning the rust on the underneath portions is where the challenge will be. I'm hoping a toothbrush and one of the recommended products in the link will allow me to get the rust off and have the layer heal itself. In the meantime, the pass around will be taking a breather. If I can't get the rust off the inside I am afraid the pass around will come to a halt as it probably is not wise to use a rusty razor. :rolleyes005:

Stay tuned - I'll post an announcement once all is clearer. :)

14. Robyflexx

Thank you for keeping us informed Karl. I know I'm not on the pass around but I follow this forum and all things PAL in general. :)

Karl G and PickledNorthern like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Me too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robyflexx and Karl G like this.
  16. Herm2502

OK, Karl. I've always used SB non-bleach formula on all my razors and never had any problems. I feel terrible.

HERM

17. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I don't know the source to be honest so don't beat yourself up. The Scrubbing Bubbles pump bottle I have at home lists Lactic Acid as the only active ingredient which is not one of the No-No ingredients in the stainless steel care link I shared above. :)

I'll know much more when I have the razor in hand and get a chance to work with it. Until then, we'll probably close the thread. When more is known I'll get the word out. The good news is the care article says the chromium oxide layer is self-healing. I got some pipe cleaners today which should help removing any rust in hard to reach places. :happy088:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Robyflexx likes this.
  18. Herm2502

So the steel wool I used was OK? Just kidding...

HERM

Bama Samurai, Robyflexx and Karl G like this.
  19. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm supposed to be the funny guy here. :rofl:

Herm2502 and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Robyflexx

:happy097:

Bama Samurai and Karl G like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.