Pass Around - PAL Adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Karl G, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Great! Thanks so much! Looking forward to trying this one after all the good things I have heard about it.

Billyfergie, Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

No shave today.....I should be on tap for tomorrow. I'll have two days of growth so I may crank the setting up to one below H.

3. som

som Well-Known Member

I'd like to jump on this if possible. I'm currently experiencing my first injector and would love the opportunity to check out another.

Thanks!

4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I found that the 3/4 mark was my personal favorite. Have a great shave!

5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Just read the first post in the thread and you are in. New list:
    1. dustmite
    2. PLAla (Has the PAL Adjustable)
    3. whiteboy_cannon aka "sticky fingers"
    4: jimjo1031
    5. cliffb599
    6. Herm2502
    7. Bama Samurai
    8. red abalone diver
    9. som
    All are welcome, jump on the PAL Adjustable train :transport022:

Billyfergie, Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  6. PLAla

Well, I fully expected to shave today, but it didn't happen. Had a great day with my family though! I'll definitely post early tomorrow morning as I get back to the workday routine.

Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  7. PLAla

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD August 29, 2016

Blade: Chinese Schick
    Razor: PAL Adjustable
    Brush: Semogue 1520 boar
    Lather: TSD Barber Shoppe
    Post: Witch hazel splash, TSD Iced Barber Shoppe, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, XTG

Hmmmm......today's shave was sub-par. I had not shaved since early Friday morning, so I had plenty of stubble. I turned the dial up to one notch below H, lathered up, and went for it. The first few strokes didn't feel smooth at all so I changed out the blade for a new Chick. That helped smooth it out some. It felt like the razor was bouncing on my face. Perhaps the lather wasn't that good? It was a little thin today, but not anything unmanageable. Anyway, first pass reduction was decent but I had several little nicks. Relathered and went for the XTG pass. Reduction was much better but my face felt irritated and itchy. So I stopped after two passes for a decent shave. I'm not as smooth as I thought I would be, but that's okay. I'm still learning this razor.

Tomorrow's shave should be better - less stubble to go through and a little more experience under my belt. I hope you have a great day!

SOTD 8-29-16.JPG

8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Hi Perry - what you're describing sounds a bit like what happens when a blade isn't loaded properly - although I haven't had that problem with this razor. As a precaution you might want to check to see if it is behind the stops on both sides. :)

Billyfergie, Herm2502, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  9. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

In my limited experience, this razor has a very narrow window for the angle. I had to stay focused to keep the right angle.

Billyfergie, Karl G and PLAla like this.
  10. PLAla

I agree, and that's why I changed the blade out after a few strokes. It was better but still not at all that smooth. I may try yet another blade. I'll admit it didn't load very easily when I changed it and it very well could have ran along the stops and malfunctioned the edge.

Billyfergie, Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Perry also try playing with different settings. :happy088:

12. PLAla

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD August 30, 2016

Brush: Artisan badger
    Lather: TSD Barber Shoppe
    Post: Witch hazel splash, TSD Iced Barber Shoppe, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Much better shave today. I injected a new blade and was very careful to make sure it didn't run across the stops. The last blade didn't load easily but this one was better. I put the setting on the middle notch and lathered up. My lather today was much improved from yesterday - rich, slick, and wonderful scent. First pass reduction was great. One teeny tiny nick on my chin that vanished with a cold rinse. Relathered on my jawline and upper neck where I normally do touch-up. Ended with a good shave with tons of improvement from yesterday.

Looks like my schedule is best for using the PAL one more time tomorrow morning and then getting it in the mail tomorrow afternoon. So "Sticky Fingers" - aka @whiteboy_cannon - be on the lookout! I'll send tracking info.

SOTD 8-30-16.JPG

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Billyfergie, dustmite, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It's great to hear that you had a successful shave with it. Thanks for the review.

14. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Great to hear it came together better today. Here's to tomorrow's shave. :eatdrink047:

Billyfergie, PLAla and Robyflexx like this.
  15. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

Sweet! I'll be here waiting for it. I hope you enjoyed your time with it @PLAIa

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

16. PLAla

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD August 31, 2016

Brush: Artisan badger
    Lather: Stirling Barbershop
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Mennen Skin Bracer, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Another nice shave. This razor provides a close shave. I can see why there are so many fans out there. I enjoyed my time with and want to thank @Karl G for the opportunity. This is the fifth SE razor that I've tried on pass-around and I've enjoyed the experiences with all of them. It is fun to try something risk-free with only the cost of shipping as your investment.

The PAL is a great razor. The angle needed some time to find and the lack of audible feedback was different than other injectors. I had some silent strokes this morning which was a little odd, but those strokes were the best and smoothest for beard reduction. In the end, after carefully loading a new blade, this razor worked quite well for me.

It is time to send it on to @whiteboy_cannon! I'll send you and Karl tracking info via PM later this afternoon once I swing by the post office.

Have a great day everyone!

SOTD 8-31-16.JPG

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Great write up Perry!

18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Perry, I see you have the razor set at the middle setting in th photo. Was that your preferred setting with this razor?

Karl G, Robyflexx and PLAla like this.
  19. PLAla

I tried it there and the settings on either side of the middle. The lower setting was too mild. The upper setting was fine but the blade was not in good shape. So I backed it down to the middle and inserted a new blade. That was the most comfortable for me. I did not try L or H.

20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The PAL is on the move. New line up below:

1. dustmite
    2. PLAla

3. whiteboy_cannon aka "sticky fingers" (Waiting on the PAL)
    4: jimjo1031
    5. cliffb599
    6. Herm2502
    7. Bama Samurai
    8. red abalone diver
    9. som
    All aboard, time to jump on the PAL Adjustable train :transport022:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.