Pasted strop

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by IsaacRN, Aug 8, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I just received a pasted strop.. its a 1.0 and 0.5. Now I know the answer...but....i start with the 1.0 then go down to .5 right.....or is it the other way......haha.......

THANKS

2. xChris

xChris Member

[in my best Ed McMahon voice]
    "You are correct, sir!"

The 1.0 & 0.5 are measurements, in microns here, for the diameter of the abrasive material (e.g., diamond, chrome oxide, boron) applied to your strop -- for those that may not know this.

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I just sent an email to TOny....the paste was pulling off the paddle and ending up on my spine. I wasnt using any pressure at all...just the weight of the razor...dont know what happened....im nervous now.

4. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I think its ok if some excess comes off the first couple of uses....but I'd wait and see what Tony says.

Jordan

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I believe this is correct. After afew uses if will stop.

Raf

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

It was almost to the point where i could see the leather beneath the paste

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Talked to Tony....he reassured me this was excess paste. If the consumers knew how much is truly needed, we would complain that there wasnt any on there.......so anyone who gets one and has some come off...its normal

8. Tony Miller

Tony Miller Member

Idealy you just need enoguh paste to embbed itself in the leathers surface, more than that is pretty much waste. The hard part comes in apply "just enough". The leather quickly sucks the water right from the paste making an uneven coat. if using chromium oxide you basically need a green stain to the leather and that will be plenty.

Tony