Patchouli...and the bad rap it gets...

Discussion in 'Scents' started by omegapd, Apr 19, 2009.

1. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Surprisingly, Patchouli is in many of the manliest colognes of the last 20 years. I was really surprised to read that many of my old (and new) favorites had a base or middle note of Patchouli.

Who knew?

But, I'm not trying to change anyone's opinions...if you don't like it, that's cool with me.

2. bravefish

bravefish Member

Patchouli & lemongrass seems to be a common combination for artisanal soaps. I like the scent.

I don't think I've ever smelled a single note patchouli either. Every time I see it (usually in soap) is always blended with something else.

As for dirty hippies/draft dodgers, that was before my time, so I don't have that association.

But I do love modern hippie chicks in the summer. I don't know, there is just something about them... And I've yet to meet one that smells bad or that has doused herself in patchouli oil.

3. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I grew up in the 60's and the scent of patchouli brings back some great memories of my college days.

As for the hippie/draft dodger statements those who make them must remember that a lot of the patchouli used in those days was to mask the scent of the "grass" being used by the wearer or burner of the incense of that scent. And many, many non-draft dodgers, by that I mean guys who went to war also did the grass and drug thing.

I will always like the scent of patchouli because of those days as a college student.

4. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

Maybe so, but nobody in 2/5 smoked pot in the bush or wore patchouli.

Doc.

5. Hi there,

Yeah, you sure got that right. Patchouli oil by itself is pretty darned nasty to my nose..always has been. Way too piercing and shrill for me. However, mixed into a fragrance blend, it can be excellent. I wore Jocomo de Jocomo (black) quite often in my younger days, and patchouli was right up there as a main scent.

Martin

Oh, I was kind of a hippie in the 70's (after being discharged from the service), and the smell of patchouli is something that automatically triggers having a flashback whenever I sniff it. Yeah, lotsa colors, and of course being able to see the air. That fragrance, and opium incense (another nasty scent) both give me the spontaneous spins.......heh.

6. rainman

rainman New Member

Once I smell it, it causes instant anger. I start to look around to find out who's wearing it so I can give them a look of death.

7. Richmondesi

Richmondesi Active Member

I just associate patchouli with pot. The only people that I knew in my pre-wetshaving life that ever had any of that scent around were potheads for their incense. I actually liked it, and thought that they picked a nice scent to cover their other activities. :D

8. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

I wasn't trying to put down any man that wore it. I too enjoy it as a solitary note within a more complex fragrance (same as bergamot), but as a perfume itself I find it to be more feminine. And I do like it- just on women. That have bathing routines that are on the daily end of the spectrum. And don't drown themselves with it.

See, you can like any scent as long as you give it criteria to follow! :D

9. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I adore patchouli. It is a love or hate scent though. If everyone like to stereotype a scent then that is fine also. I wished by body odor smelled like patchouli though:) I dont see any resemblance at all but everyones nose is different. I like woodsy scents though including vetiver, sandalwood, cedarwood, pine, and of course patchouli:) I wish it did remind me of my pot smoking day thoughs. Those were some of the best years of my life!

10. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I have about 5 lbs. of Patchouli in my stash. I also have a small amount that's about 20 years old and it's amazing! It mellowed out quite a bit and seems to have a subtle hint of vanilla.

11. white_feather

white_feather Active Member

I love it the wife hates it.

12. omegapd

omegapd New Member

2 months since I started this thread and that's exactly the way it is in my house today too...

13. Soap Guy

Soap Guy New Member

Lots of my friends wore it in high school. I always think who's burning one, where's the hippy, and wow, is that strong. Roughly in that order.

My wife and I both dislike it. Oddly enough, she wore it when she was a teenager and in her early 20's. Now she can't stand it.

It always seems to me that people use too much of it. I worked with a guy who was older than me and you could tell if Mike had walked by for at least ten minutes afterward. It can be a pleasant scent but it seems most people just over do it.

I hate to walk behind women that have so much perfume on you can taste it, so it not just patchouli with me.

14. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Put me in the camp that likes it. As an EO, carefully blended with other EO's, I find the scent both soothing and relaxing. I ordered Mama Bear's patchouli shave soap. I really liked the scent but the soap irritated my skin. I know it wasn't the patchouli EO she uses because I have used bar soap in the shower with that EO and had no problem at all.

Any scent is a personal preference. Whatever one's reasons for liking or disliking a scent there are enough aromas out there (as well as unscented) for everyone's tastes.

15. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

So true.

16. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Its good stuff. I like Ems woodstock soap & ASB.

17. Michaelshane

Michaelshane New Member

I love the 60s, hippies,60s music,and all the smells that go along with those times.Hell I was there.:D

18. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Yeah, it's kinda hippy but I must confess I like it alot. Using TSD Patchouli shaving soap and I rather enjoy the smell (no it doesn't smell like feet, arm pits or marijuana :rolleyes:)

19. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Ahhh, patchouli. How it makes me reminisce of the late 60's and early 70's. When I put a drop or two on my large sandalwood incense stick, turn on my Jimi Hendrix "Electric Lady land" cd, flip on the black light and my neon signs, sucking down an ice cold bottle of brew, I am practically there. Many good times back then, and the music I so adored back in the day, is now played in a lot of elevators today. Go figure.

Patchouli is like most all oils. If it's over done, and with oils that is easily done, it can be very obnoxious and annoying. But if applied correctly it has an appeal all it's own. I recall the "Earth" oils in my hippie days. And patchouli was considered in that category, but many of the earth oils were a mixture of various oils, probably mixed by the "Head" shop owners that were selling it. More times than not, people applied the oil directly without any layering or dilution, making a very overpowering stench. It is true that patchouli was used to help mask the odors of the Meshmakan, or Jamaican, or the Panamanian weeds as they burned. It's quite funny knowing that all it did was make the paranoia go away, even though it never succeeded in masking the smell of the smoke.

Ahh yes, the good ol days!

20. noxlord

noxlord New Member

I recently ordered a Patchouli soap from Ginger's Garden (December newbie give-away) Only because the name sound funny. I am glad I made a good choice. I can't wait to give it a shot.