Pearl Flexi Adjustable Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I just picked up a used? one from Murphy and McNeil for about 30% off the price of a new one.
    How do I tell which version it is? Is there any info as to which version goes to which S/N?

cliffb599 likes this.
  2. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

The one I just received new today had the serial number 21A2919.

3. jay_gatz

So I just received mine today. Just realized Murphy and McNeil are just like the next town over, so super fast delivery and will be using them more. Anyone know if they have a shop? On to the razor, will wait for the shave tonight, but first impressions are good. Finish is on par with more expensive models, seems to be really hefty, thick handle, and getting a stand is a nice touch. If it shaves well, it would be tough to not recommend. I didn't have much lick with the Rex Ambassador, had the lack of glide problem some have noted, and that was plated in Rhodium. Here is a little unboxing series of photos:

It is nicely packaged, a bit nicer than the Rex IMHO, not that that is the most important thing:

IMG_1733.jpg IMG_1734.jpg
    IMG_1735.jpg
    IMG_1736.jpg IMG_1737.jpg

Does not appear to have any alignment issues:

IMG_1738.jpg IMG_1739.jpg

It did also come with a "Salon Pack" of 50 Silvermax blades. Anyone have experience with these blades?

4. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Mine was 21A2738. I hope that means I'm well past the debugging run. But I don't know.

With early Gillettes, there are table published on a lot of sites that tell me what year produced a given S/N .
    I haven't found such a resource for Pearl Flexi.

Ijustmissedthe50s and cliffb599 like this.
  5. jay_gatz

From what I have read, you should be.

6. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

That's good. May I ask what you read and where? That way in the future I'll be able to track the info myself.
    Thanks.

7. jay_gatz

8. jay_gatz

9. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

10. jay_gatz

Just finished the first shave. This thing is heavy. Ran it wide open, not too aggressive. Three passes got me bbs on the face, typical dfs on the neck, which is normal for me. I care more about the face as I’ve never been able to get that spot right under the jawline perfect. Couple of neck weepers, but that would happen with any razor. Gotta know when to quit. Used the blades that came with it, anxious to try it with one of my go to blades. The silvermax are pretty good though. I would recommend dialing it down for the third pass on the neck. Overall pretty impressed. Will continue to use it and report back. Definitely need to get used to the angle as well.

11. jay_gatz

Threw in a London bridges vintage on Saturday. Ultra smooth.

12. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

I also took my inaugural run with my Flexi. Coincidentally, had a patch of sore blemishes on my pariah area, the crease between the upper lip and high cheek. So, I thought, good opportunity to dial the razor down to 2 and assess the results. Used a new Tatra (very smooth, mild for me) blade.

Performance was as expected, just what I had hoped for. Blemished area, as well as rest of beard, had an acceptable result in two passes. No irritation whatsoever, even on the blemished patch. Not DFS, but instead irritation and weeper free, perfectly acceptable for two days to let that patch heal.

Adjustable tool is what I had hoped for, adjustable I got!

IAmTheJody and mrchick like this.
  13. Blairaudio

Blairaudio New Member

Took mine apart just to have a look under the hood. 20220727_201112.jpg

IAmTheJody and cliffb599 like this.
  14. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I've had mine for almost a year but just shaved with it for the first time a few days ago. I was disappointed. I set it to 1 (which is actually a half step above fully closed) and I felt too much blade, and it was harsh, even though I rode the cap with a very light touch. I used a Gillette Platinum (light blue box with white lettering.) I got through the shave OK on my face but my neck was irritated. One nick right on the lower nostril, too. I haven't tried it again yet since I want to give my neck a break. I only did 1 WTG pass on the neck, btw, but did the usual 3 passes on the rest of my face.

I didn't find it very efficient either, which was surprising given the blade feel.

It wasn't a bade blade since I've used that same blade in 2 subsequent shaves with other razors with no harsh feel.

Next time I will try an Astra SP.

As an aside, I've heard some people call the Gillette Plat I mentioned above a "Swede", and others call the one in the white box with blue lettering a "Swede", so I'm not sure which is right. I've also heard debates on whether they are both the same blade, and whether one or the other is the same as a King C. Gillette that Walgreens sells for $6 for a tuck of 10.

cliffb599 likes this.
  15. ShaversRUs

Does this razor shave smoother steep?

thanks

Hembree likes this.
  16. ShaversRUs

As I mentioned in another thread, I decided to give it another try.

Totally different experience. Started with it fully closed, then after first pass dialed up to 1.5.

Very smooth, comfortable shave. Actually a bit closer than I've been getting with the Rockwell 6s Plate #4. I used a Tiger Plat on it's 6th shave.
    I didn't ride the cap -- I just shaved with it :) I guess I used pretty much the neutral angle. Maybe my lather was better this time, too.

cliffb599 and TheBurgh like this.
  17. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

I also found it to be a good shaver

and

a great exercise tool for my right arm, wrist and hand muscles!

cliffb599 likes this.
  18. WhyAreYouMe

WhyAreYouMe Active Member

I didn't like mine so I just sold it in a Rex box. Made a good profit.

19. ShaversRUs

How do the Blaze and Hammer compare to the Flexi (both safety-bar and open-combed models)?

Obviously, only the Flexi is adjustable, but at what settings do the Flexis shave similar to Blaze and Hammer (for each plate.)

For example:

Flexi SB setting X similar to Blaze.
    Flexi SB setting Y similar to Hammer SB
    Flexi OC setting Z similar to Hammer OC

Or is it really Apples to Oranges?

If one has a Flexi SB, or Flexi OC, is it worth getting a Blaze or a Hammer?

WhyAreYouMe likes this.
  20. ShaversRUs

Another great shave with it today. I kept it on setting 1 for the whole shave.

cliffb599 and TheBurgh like this.