Pearl Open Comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DonMac, Nov 30, 2015.

1. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Yesterday the Pearl open comb SHD-21 GB came in the mornings mail. Fortunately I hadn't shaved yet and was able to give it a first trial shave. Wow! I already have a Pearl closed comb that is a fine razor and is one of my favorites, but it doesn't compare to this new open comb.

To begin with, this Pearl open comb razor is a heavy weight at around 99 grams, with a beautiful antique gold, near 4" handle which is great for larger hands like mine. The rest of the razor is a deep chrome finish that almost has a blue cast to it, like the chrome you see on custom cars at car shows. This deep blue cast comes from triple chrome plating. The fit and finish is absolutely flawless and the overall beauty is something to behold. The heavy knurled antique gold handle is well balanced, and has just the right amount of grip, not too sharp, and not too dull, just about perfect for me with wet soapy Pearl Open Comb.JPG hands while shaving. Blade alignment is perfect every time.

After loading a Dorco platinum 301 blade with a couple of shaves on it, and a nice lather of Poraso, I began my first shave. This razor is definitely not for beginners, as it is noticeably more aggressive than my Muhle R41. I would describe it as an R41 on steroids. One careful buffing pass and a little touch-up provided a BBS shave so close that a cotton ball had nothing to stick to. I believe this Pearl is probably the most aggressive razor in my collection of standard design DE razors. Initially I wasn't sure if it was actually cutting the whiskers, as it has little audio response, and is super smooth, giving no resistance whatsoever. Today I used it again with the same blade. I can't imagine what this razor will do with a Feather, but I'll soon find out.

I should mention that today's shave provided two nice weepers which I haven't had from any razor in several years. It took me 10 minutes just to find the steptic pencil to stop the blood flow, because I haven't used one in years, and it was buried in my shave drawer. The weepers were not the fault of the razor, as I got a little over confident in todays shave with some excessive pressure and carelessness. This is a razor that commands respect, proper prep and technique. Otherwise, you may become an unwilling blood donor which you can explain to the nice paramedics in the ambulance on your way to the emergency room.

This is one great razor! For the $38.95 I paid for it, I doubt I have anything in my collection that shaves better. For anyone looking for an outstanding razor for less then 40 bucks that performs like a $200 razor, and is literally a work of art, I would definitely suggest this one.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Jim99, RaZorBurn123, Misphit and 2 others like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Is Pearl and Cadet the same manufacturer/company?

RaZorBurn123 and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

I believe so. Pearl manufacturers for a number of well known razor companies, Razorock, Maggart and others.

RaZorBurn123 and Darkbulb like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I also believe Pearl and the no longer extant Cadet to be the same razor.

RaZorBurn123 and Darkbulb like this.
  5. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I like the look of this razor but I just can't justify it. You are probably going to kick yourself for this but...

upload_2015-11-30_10-35-28.png

Jim99, Robyflexx and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The timing of this thread is perfect! My wife and I were shopping and we stumbled upon them in a store that carried them. They look like well made razors and the store carried over a half dozen different Pearl models. I was thinking about buying their open comb, but my wife stopped me before I had a chance to say anything. Maybe she will get it for me and I'll find it under the tree on Christmas.

I understand that the TTOs are 100% brass. The heads on the 3 piece razors are zamak. Either way, they look very good for the price ($34.99 by me).

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It is a beautiful razor. I had the opportunity to use a Cadet that had a very similar head. It was one of the most aggressive razors I have ever used. If I want aggression, I will crank my Fatboy to 9.
    [​IMG]

Joef, Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Hmm... If it's that aggressive, then I might have to pass. If it were like a fatboy set on 6, then I'm in. Any issues with blade alignment?

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Nice write up, it really is a very sharp looking razor at whatever you paid for it if your enjoying yourself (priceless). :happy088:

Jim99 likes this.
  10. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

The blade alignment is perfect every time on mine. I understand that a number of years ago, there were some blade alignment issues with the closed comb model, but have since been resolved. My two year old closed comb model has perfect alignment every time.

Jim99, Robyflexx and Misphit like this.
  11. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Thanks, I saw that before. There are some excellent prices on Ebay. I had to pay a lot more from Amazon, but used the reward points from my credit card usage, so it actually didn't cost me any cash.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Jim99, Misphit and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I do like an aggressive razor, but I hate the sight of my own blood. However, After reading your review again, I think I can handle this razor.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

I agree, and also generally like aggressive razors. I often do switch back and forth from mild to aggressive razors just for variety. The Pearl, although aggressive and requires some respect, is surprisingly smooth and enjoyable to use. I bet you'll love it.

Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello fellows, I have owned the Pearl open comb razor for about two years. As Don Mac says, they are both aggressive and efficient. I love mine. So much so that I ordered another head for some of my other handles. Here's a listing you might find useful-

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/111813572720

Enjoy!

Jim99, Robyflexx and DonMac like this.
  15. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

It surprises me you consider Pearl OC to be more aggressive and dangerous than R41. I consider Pearl OC to be about the same as Gillette NEW LC. But as most razors on the more aggressive side, Pearl OC benefits from a bit sharper blade.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, if the Pearl OC shaves similar to the New OC long comb, then I'm in.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

It is a bit aggressive ONLY if you are not ready for it. I used mine for the first time today and got some neck irritation and a few weepers around the chin. I am pretty sure it was because I was pressing too hard. I was paying attention to my 6 year old and rushing. Bad Idea! So I guess like the R41, you do not need much pressure at all. Also. I thought using a less sharp blade, TREET Platinum, was the way to go. Next time I will use a feather. I'll try to follow up later in the week with my results.
    DB

RyX and Robyflexx like this.