Personal Observation Between Gillette Tech and Gillette NEW Short Comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Azarius, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

The two Vintage Razors that I grab for the most are a Tech and a Short Comb NEW. I get great shaves with either one and lately I have felt that the shaves are equally good, one not better than the other.

Today while setting up my SOTD picture for tomorrow I decided to take a closer look at both heads.

This is my personal observations, I am sure that some will disagree with me.

For all intended purposes, the Tech is nothing more than a closed bar short comb NEW. Yes, I said it. I know many of the BOTOC guys will freak out, calling it blasphemous, but really a picture speaks a thousand words, look for yourself.

• The head geometry is almost identical.
    • In the older Tech's, the top cap is interchangeable.
    • The shape of the comb bar is the same, just one is closed.
    • The blade gap is the same on the Short Comb NEW and TECH (.56mm)

So to my eye, and face what is the only real difference? The open comb of the NEW.

I have said it a hundred times if not more. I can get a great shave out of a Tech, as many other shavers have before me. It was obviously a great seller for Gillette as it was produced from 1938 to 2008, a span of 70 years.

So why is it that some guys cannot get a good shave from a Tech, but they swear by a NEW? Again, this is my own personal opinion, but I believe it all boils down to technique. With any open comb, you know immediately if you are shaving at the incorrect angle, as you will have rake marks in your lather, but no reduction of stubble. Any open combs almost makes you work on your technique, angle of holding the razor, and the amount of pressure that is applied.

With any closed comb razor, unless you are a seasoned veteran, it may take you a while to find the correct angle for cutting.

So those who have given up on a Tech but love their open combs....if it has been a while, give the Tech another try, you may be shocked at how well you can shave with it.
    [​IMG]

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Really interesting observations. :)

3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Tend to agree with your finding.

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Repent ye sinner!..lol.. I would have to disagree on this one. Though both are great razors and do share some similar aspects in head geometry, I find the two have a completely different feel to one another. The Deluxe new seems a bit similar, but still to me the OC's appear to have overall, a more aggressive air to them. There are also some fundamental differences in head geometry, in that the new has more blade exposure and it can be argued that the comb itself makes a difference...

Azarius likes this.
  5. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I do believe that using an open comb does improve ones technique. After mostly using OCs for four months I started shaving with a Slim and a Fatboy. I noticed a considerable improvement compared to before I acquired my OC razors.

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice post, I felt my technique improved after using the R-41 I had tried OC's before vintage Gillettes mainly and personally not noticed any improvements. If anything I seem to shave faster since acquiring the R-41.
    Maybe I didnt really appreciate the more subtle differences in the other OC's I had.

7. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

They feel nothing at all alike to shave with, imo. I am not all that keen on closed comb razors in general as they move more lather away from the cutting point than an oc would, but that is open to debate I suppose.