Personna M5 Magnum; Review

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Old Spice Guy, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Ok, so yesterday I'm in Wally world (that's Walmart for the unintiated) and doing what I always do stopping by the shave isle to see if anything new has popped up and primarily this time to pick up some cartridges for my Fusion which has been my primary razor now for a couple years or so.

Yes, for those of you who missed the frackus in another thread I am a proud and shameless Fusion user, but I digress..........

So what to my wandering eyes should appear but a new (at least to me) and pretty neat looking Personna knock off of the Gillette Fusion razor, trial version with two blades for a paupers portion, only $5.88 and a pack of (four) replacement cartridges also only $5.88. Wow, sure beats $14 right?

So I downloaded it into my shopping cart and brought it home. For those who have not yet seen this razor here is a picture.

So this morning I lathered up good with my Omega 49 and some Williams shave soap and gave the M5 a go. I have to say I was not expecting it to be as good as the Fusion. The feel and balance was pretty comparable and the weight about the same. Actually I like the grip part a little better.

While I can't say it was actually a better shaving razor than the Fusion it was not by and large any worse. Only on the parts of my face like around the chin area where the whiskers are stiffer and grow at different angles did I feel just the least bit of 'tug' or drag but it was very minor and not at all uncomfortable.

Bottom line is I was totally surprised in a positive way, I did not expect this razor to be this good. The only question to be answered (for me anyway) is how many shaves I can get out of each blade. A Fusion cart lasts me for a month of shaves so it costs me around a buck a week. If the M5 could hold out that long it would only be about $0.36 a week.

Even if a blade only lasts two weeks I'd still be ahead of the game. Any way I'm gonna find out, I will be using the M5 exclusively till I find out how long one lasts me with my beard and I will report here when I know.

I for one am not "hooked" on the Fusion to the point that I won't use something that works better or the same for less money. In fact the only part I don't like about the Fusion is the money even though it only averages out to a $1 a week for me because they last so long. But I admit I do hate going to the store still and dropping $14+ for four cartridges. Who knows, maybe I won't have to any longer, we'll soon see.

edit: ps, I forgot to mention that the M5 comes in a handy tray with snap shut lid for travelling. The lid is removable (and can be replaced) for those like me who do not travel much and just want the tray to rest the razor in after shaving.

2. mpt

mpt New Member

I need Power!

This is a good alternative to the Fusion, but only if you don't need the power version. I have used both the Fusion and Fusion Power, and find the power version to be superior in comfort and efficiency. Comparing the M5, which is manual, with the Gillette Fusion Power is not an equivalent shaving experience. I will say that the M5 appears to be pretty similar in results to the Fusion manual in terms of closeness and comfort. For anyone using the Fusion Manual, the M5 is a must try. You can buy this at Walmart, for literally half the price of the Fusion!

I wish that the M5 had a power version, I'm sure I would make the permanent switch to this product. I will try to get used to the manual version, but a manual version in both the Fusion and M5 gives me a few more nicks than I would like, so for now, I need to hold out hope that Personna will introduce a power version. I loathe that Gillette charges the absurd price they do, but their power Fusion product is superior, so will continue to be held hostage by Gillette, but hopefully for not too much longer.

I hope anyone else that is fine with the manual version will give this a try; you'll be pleasantly pleased with the performance and price.

3. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Welcome aboard mpt!

Since I only use the manual version of the Fusion that's the one I was comparing the M5 to.

The powered versions to me are too much like using an electric razor, I can't feel the blades on my face. I like the feel of the blades cutting whiskers. Not dragging or pulling them mind you but just like the feel of the blade on my face.

It's altogether possible Personna could come out with a powered M5, we'll just have to wait and see but I won't be trying it.

Update: After 5 shaves the M5 actually seems to have improved, certainly there's been no deteriation in performance to this point. Was in walmart last night for other stuff and went ahead and picked up a four pack of M5 carts, I'm definately switching from the Fusion. I love this thing!

At first I wished the M5 blades would work on the Fusion handle but not now, I like the M5's handle better than the fusion too.

4. mpt

mpt New Member

I definitely agree with you that the M5 handle is better than the fusion. That's another big plus for recommending the M5. I'm going to keep going with the M5 in hopes of adjusting to not using power. I can't resist the opportunity for a 50% savings! I think this product has a really good chance to capture many Fusion users. I will continue to update on my progress. Thanks for the reply!

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Thanks for the reviews there gents. I have a coworker who I tried getting into D/E's but it didn't work out for him. He was always too rushed to do the whole routine, so he went back to his Fusion. I'll pass along the info you posted here and I'm sure he'll give the M5 a try just try to save some money.

6. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the above posts that even put the M5 in the same stratosphere as the Fusion. I'm in no way a fan of the Fusion, but the difference is night and day.

The M5 I purchased shaved like a dull cheese grater, and was one of the worst razors I've ever used (and I've used Super Maxx swift Three's) and left my face torn and tattered.

For the sake of objectivity I used the other cart that came with it and it too was horrid.

I don't recommend this razor in any way at all. If you need five blades on your razor, don't throw your Fusion away just yet.

The handle is the only thing it has going for it. Unfortunately it only fits M5 cartridges. :rolleyes:

7. mpt

mpt New Member

After a couple of more shaves with the M5, I think I am changing my opionion. I got some nasty nicks with the M5 that i never have gotten with the Fusion. I think my first experience was more luck than anything. The blades on the M5 are angled differently, and do not have the same feel as the Fusion. I initially blamed that on the lack of power, but upon subsequent evaluation, it's not about the power, but on the razor itself. I'm definitely lowering my initial opinion of the M5. For those with sensitive skin, the M5 might not be a good bet afterall.

I also contacted Personna, and they have no plans to introduce a power version of the M5. For me, that means I'm going to have to stick with the Fusion power version. Drats, I was so excited to not have to spend so much money on cartridges.

8. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Well that's why I posted about it, not trying to convert any DE shavers, I know that's not gonna happen. But any other cartridge shavers should at least try the M5. The $5.88 won't kill you and if it works for him as it did and does for me he will save some money.

Well that's why different products are out there, what works for one does not always work for all. I continue to get great smooth shaves from my M5 and like the feel so much better than my Fusion I actually can't wait to shave in the morning. I'm still on my first blade and still no deteriation and have not suffered a single cut.

9. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Just a quick update for anyone interested. Had my 14th shave this morning on the original first cartridge in my M5 and got another bbs shave. Can't tell any difference yet so I'm halfway to getting a full month out of a blade like I got from the Fusion. Even if I threw this blade away right now I'd still be spending nearly half per blade what Fusion carts cost. But I feel fairly certain I'll make it to a full month. Either way I'm still shaving cheaper and better than before.

10. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Final update, my first cartridge in the M5 did indeed last me for an entire month, from the 25th of April to the 25th of May without a lot of degradition in performance. I could have gotten a few more shaves out of it but on Sunday I installed a new blade.

I'm happy to have found a razor that shaves even better in my opinion than the Fusion and at a third the cost.

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I apparently missed the frackus. :confused:

Shouldn't been any frackus. We do have a cartridge razor forum after all. And have had it since TSD opened.

Glad you found a good razor and at a good price. :happy096

12. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Very nice. Whatever works, works!

13. gman41

gman41 Member

Personna

I know pretty much everyone here uses a D/E razor as do I, but Personna offers some pretty good alternatives in the cartridge area. Their Matrix 3 system is good as is the Tri-Flexx cartridges for Sensor systems. They used to be readily available in Wal-Mart but latley I have not seen them there in great numbers, at least in my locale. They do make a lot of private label systems for stores like Shop-Rite here in the northeast, Rite Aid and so on. Still can't beat the price of D/E shaving but there is an alternative to getting ripped off by Gillette.

14. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Thanks, and it wasn't really a frackus so much as a friendly disagreement, well mostly friendly anyway. ;)

15. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Well since changing to the Personna M5 and with each blade lasting me a month I'm now spending 35 cents a week to shave which I'm pretty sure is hard to beat for most DE shavers.

But even when I was spending $1 a week with my Fusion I always loved it when people with hundreds of dollars worth of Badger brushes in their den were telling me they saved money shaving DE. I guess it's a good thing cuz they need the money to buy brushes, Mine is a $12.00 Omega boar. :D

16. UnklGus

UnklGus Member

My off brand boar works wonders. I have no reason to spend crazy amounts of money on a badger...

17. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Im discovering that too...

18. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

I'm always tempted to buy this Personna Magnum but it's so damn ugly!

The Schick Quattro Titanium, esp. in "Woverine" black, is the best looking modern razor IMO...

19. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I like the way the M5 looks. But more importantly I like the way it feels and shaves. I'm still very happy with it and will continue to use it.

The Quattro Wolverine is a good looking handle but unfortunately the Quattro didn't work out well for me.

Good for you. I think more and more people are finding this out.

20. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

I bought this, and an extra 4 pack of blades at Wal-Mart about 3-4 months back. Seemed like a good deal. Unfortunately, the blade quality was awful, and the razor badly pulled after just two shaves!! It was immediately pitched into the garbage!!

I would thus chalk this up as a totally worthless razor, and it certainly won't make any serious dent in Fusion sales.