Phoenix Green ray/atomic rocket

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Brickman301, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

My wife was asking what to get me for Father’s Day, and I was thinking about asking for either one of these shaving brushes. If anyone that has either or both of them and could give me their opinion, I would appreciate it. I love the looks of both of them. I’ve never owned a synthetic brush, so this is new to me. I have both Badger and boar, and prefer a boar brush. Is synthetic, similar to boar or badger?
    Thanks.

Boojum1 and Jim99 like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

No, synthetic is not similar to Badger, or Boar. I have had several synthetics that are raved about, and they don't hold a candle to several of my Boars, or my Whipped Dog Silver tip Badger.

3. Brickman301

Thanks for the info. They are cheap enough, so I might still try one. If I don’t like it I could always replace the knot I guess. Does anyone make a boar brush comparable in size/price to the atomic rocket brush?

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Stirling Boar brush. Nice handle, excellent knot. I think right at $10.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think that synthetics are worth a try for everyone, regardless of where they fall, in terms of being a favorite or not. There are a lot of simple performance advantages to them, and they are generally dirt cheap. If a handle strikes your fancy, then go for it. They are cheap enough. My personal recommendations would be to pick anything from Stirling, Maggard’s, or Italian Barber. They are all basically the same knot, with different handles. The Stirling Pro has a fantastic brush handle, as do the Italian Barber 400’s.

Keeping in mind that I am a total badger fan at heart, I still have 8-10 synthetics on the shelf. Every one is a really good brush.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I don't think you can compare them to boar or badger. I also think they are good brushes on their own. It looks to me like most are about the same for performance these days. Pick one you like the looks of and give it a go. You might be surprised!

I have not used either of the brushes you asked about. I do have a maggards tuxedo knot that is nice. If you live near a Sally's you can pick up their little Barburys brush for under 10 bucks. Then you can see if you like a synthetic before getting a higher priced one.

Jim99 and PickledNorthern like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Mic drop kind of advice, right there.

8. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive got both and theyre great brushes. Theyve got good backbone but still have very soft tips. I personally like the Green Ray better because its a bit smaller but both are great brushes.

9. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I have both brushes you’re considering, but have only used the Green Ray thus far.

It has very soft tips, great flow-through, and a cool hipster style (if anything hipsters do can have style). My only complaint is the backbone is a little on the soft side for my taste. And if you’re a boar fan, it might be for you too.

Performance wise I prefer the Stirling Tuxedo. I just thought the PA brushes looked cool and couldn’t help myself.

10. Brickman301

I took your advice and picked up a Barburys from Sally’s, on the way home tonight. I just finished using it. It whips up lather very well, and worked great. It doesn’t have the backbone of my boars, so it definitely felt different. I kind of like my brushes stiffer. I’ll keep using it, though. Thanks you and everyone else so much for helping me out. I also checked out the stirling boar bush, that really looks like a nice brush as well. Mmm, so many choices. Lol.

11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

You might like the Atomic Rocket better. Mine seems to have more backbone than the Green Ray. Im not sure if thats because its bigger but it seems to have soft tips but still good backbone. I find that I have to put a fair amount of pressure on it in order to make it splay.

Latherin’ Luddite likes this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The only answer to the choice is to buy them all.....right? Glad the brush is ok for you.