Picked Up A 1957 Super Speed Flare Tip Code C-1

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill G, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

I could not resist and had to add this 1957 Super Speed Flare Tip to my collection (code C-1). It has been re-plated in nickel by Chris at Back Roads Gold. Chris always does a great job.

Happy Shaves To Everyone,
    Bill G

82F586FA-5F01-4CE3-8619-9EE21385CBEA.jpeg F411F63F-179B-438B-B626-48FE197FE078.jpeg F434458B-8D41-4770-9C87-8510A5A4E902.jpeg AB44D90E-525E-4AB0-90BC-3F5FA8CE3F1A.jpeg

Herm2502, PLANofMAN, Hembree and 12 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

Hembree and Bill G like this.
  3. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Thanks,

The razor is in perfect shape. I just shaved with it tonight and got an excellent smooth and comfortable shave. I am super happy with it. Just like with my Gillette Tech razors this Super Speed Flare Tip just works with my skin and beard type.

Over the years I have come back to and prefer the milder razors. These old Gillette razors that I started collecting fit that bill nicely. I have pretty much retired my more aggressive modern razors that I own all but my Karve razors with the milder plates the A plate in the open comb and the B plate my preferred in the straight bar.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

4. StewB

StewB Member

Very nice find!

Hembree, brit and Bill G like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

6. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

After now having this Super Speed Flare Tip I am tending to totally agree with you. I like it that much and as said before I also love my Tech Gillettes as well.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

Ijustmissedthe50s, Enrico and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

very cool.they are great shavers.british techs and superspeed/ variants are my mainstay these days.:)

Ijustmissedthe50s and Bill G like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

D) All of the above
    Sweet score!!

Bill G and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

my lone brit mid 50s regular flare tip,my other brit flare tips have the rocket style mechanism.
    20220331_121209_edited1.jpg

10. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Nice,
    I really like that razor very nice.

Bill G

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

thank you.it saves similar to a rocket:)

Bill G likes this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I found my regular Gillette 1956 B2 flare tip mild and I juiced it up with a extra wide Kai SS blade and that improved the performance I like. Well made razor and like to use it once in a while, I have a large razor rotation.
    Gillette 1956 B2 flare Tip (2) Some refer it to 1960's flare tip.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

13. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

That’s great that you could get the razor to shave perform better for you with that blade setup.

As said I find the Super Speed Flare Tip and Tech razors perfect as is for me. With Astra blades I don’t want for better shavers.

Happy Shaves Everyone,
    Bill G

brit and Ron R like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

see the difference in the end caps? brit version has the brit rocket head.

Ron R and Bill G like this.
  15. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Yes I see it that’s cool and very interesting.

Bill G

brit likes this.
  16. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I have a 1956 second quarter Super Speed Flaretip (B2). I plan on using it next week for my birthday week with Feather blade. This razor and I are both almost 66 years old! Mine is next Friday the 15th.

I got lucky on Ebay and got this one for $30. It was ultra-sonically cleaned and looks almost new!

DSCN3550.JPG

Enrico, brit and Bill G like this.
  17. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

That’s sweet, nice find. Also happy B Day and enjoy.

Bill G

Hogie and brit like this.
  18. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I have a few of these flare tips, and a few more if you include the red and blue tips, and the TV special.

I definitely think the earlier ones are the best as when you get into the 60's versions the weights of them come down indicating less metal in the razor. My A1-'55 weighs 58g while my D2-'58 weighs 56g and my K4-'65 weighs 54g. Also the screw that retains the tip was replaced with a crimp in '58.

By the time the black handle version appeared in '68 the weight was down even more. My V2-'75 weighs 48g.

Enrico, brit and Bill G like this.
  19. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Great information and I tend to prefer and like the earlier Super Speed razors as well. I just purchased this 1948 - 1949 Super Speed (never used) today. It will be here in about a week.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

3E622BCB-D91F-49E0-AE35-A91A851EED7A.jpeg 9640CE45-6A05-4825-B24D-3DE88099B1C8.jpeg 4CE119A0-EC1D-4762-AEF1-6B1456990D5B.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    Enrico and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

Hogie and Bill G like this.