PIFs

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by lightcs1776, Aug 1, 2018.

1. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

There have been a few PIFs recently that I have not put my name in for the prize. It generally has nothing to do with the PIF, but more about how I would use the item. For example, I am not a big fan of synthetics, so I wouldn't throw my hat in the ring. I am always appreciative of these, especially since I have given away a few items myself, although always behind the scenes. I started thinking, why do folks enter a PIF? Do you simply enter every PIF or do you only enter for those items that really get your attention?

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Keithmax, jtspartan, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I pass on the vast majority. I only enter if it is something I have not tried or had access to and if it would fill some void in my collection.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. montieg

montieg Well-Known Member

I enter ones where I'm actually interested in trying or using the item.

Keithmax, jtspartan, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Same as above. I only enter PIFs if it's an item I haven't used and would like to try or something I've had my eye on but haven't been able to acquire myself. If I win something and end up not liking it, I PIF it back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I try to get in on items I would like to use or try and if I don’t like it I would try to pif it again. I am thankful for everyone that does offer a PIF and happy for the winners and hope that they would one day be able pass on anything they may not want or need to others that may have a need to complete part of their collection or use an exciting product that they may not have the opportunity to get themselves.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  6. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

When I was just starting out, i entered anything that had items I did not have and needed, or had not tried before.
    Now, I only enter if it is something I have really wanted and cannot afford, or find. And that is really rare, these days. I have so very much. And yes, there are always going to be nicer brushes, razors, etc., than what I have, but I've come to the point where I'm really happy with what I have, and know that the pricier stuff could only be incrementally better. I'm just really content where I am.

7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I’ve entered many PIFs, but I’ve only entered for items that I’ve never tried or items that sound interesting. But there are pif hunter out there that just enter PIFs and don’t contribute much at all.

PickledNorthern and lightcs1776 like this.
  8. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I think at first many people get overwhelmed by the variety of products to try, so they are more likely to sign up for anything new they want to try.

As time goes on, we try different products and find what works best, learning different soap bases and Ingredients that work with your skin. Eventually you reach a point where you PIF products that either don't get much love, or really good soaps you want others to experience as well.

9. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I have entered and been the winner of a few PIF’s. I used to enter because I wanted to find out which I liked best. Gillette NEW Short Comb, TTO’s, injectors, shavette’s, etc.

Now that I have one of each of those razors I am planning on passing on most razors, unless I really like them. I am a huge fan of older things with History to them. I love learning about how old they are and wondering where they came from.

Currently I enter most soap and brush PIF’s as I have yet to find the soap I love and a favorite kind of brush. For example, I know what kind of brush hair I like, but have never tried badger. So I’m more looking at the different handles .

In the end, I plan on picking out my favorites and doing a Multi-PIF. Each will have a razor, a brush, and a soap if possible :). The choices will have at least a razor and a soap as I have not acquired many brushes. I have the boar hairs VDH I purchased, a synthetic, and I think a horse hair. Each of which I like, but not quite the “perfect” one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'll put it out there ... you know what I'm talking about .... the PIF hunters.

I'm not talking about people that regular post and comments here, but the people that only pop up here when there's a PIF. You know the ones that have been part of TSD for 6 years and only have 93 post and that was only to post "I'm in".

That's why I like the rules to a PIF here ... the PIF maker makes the rules.

As a rule, I don't enter many PIFs and if I'd like to pass the PIF to a friend or loved one, I ask the creator of the PIF if that would be OK.

11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Pretty much what everyone on here has said.

lightcs1776, Jrdelgado and Pilotcld like this.
  12. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Also agree with about everyone.
    While I like to play, any more it has to be something I really want or need.
    Like the brush pif now. I like brushes, but I don't use all the ones i already have.
    Now if it was a rubberset 400 then that's different.

Of course when lets make a deal rolls around, all bets are off.

13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Similar to what others have said. I pass on the majority of PIFs as well, but do try to acknowledge peoples’s generosity with a comment at times.

14. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I very seldom enter any PIFs because I am pretty much satisfied with what I have. Still I did recently enter one PIF, @Linuxguile 's Four PIFs in One, and rather than entering all four sections I chose to enter just for Schick Injector because I have never use a SE. I am seriously planning to make a PIF myself at some point in August/September, when I get time to dig through my drawers, and I was thinking that if I would have won this PIF and not have liked the Injector I could easily add it to this upcoming PIF.

Keithmax, RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  15. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

As a follow up, I had recently entered a PIF for an Aeropress. I hadn't tried one and was intrigued. I didn't win, but the conversation led to the purchase of one. Best coffee at work that I have ever made. I generally enter soap and many brush PIFS, because I love a variety of soaps and would like to try a quality badger one day. I do enjoy my two boar brushes though.

Thanks for the input. I am not looking to criticize anyone's motives, just curious. The forum is full of incredibly generous folks and I am amazed at what has been offered.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Keithmax, SHAVEWIZARD420 and RyX like this.
  16. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

I’ve only entered in a very few PIF’s. I think 3 too be exact. If the item doesn’t catch my attention I don’t enter. I’m not a D/E guy at all, so I pass all those PIF’s up. I don’t explore into the soaps and creams very often, so I usually don’t enter those either. I do like to try out different brushes, and the very few vintage S/E razors, I don’t already own. That’s why I entered one today, both the brushes and Ever Ready razor caught my eye.

17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I pass on most now, but PIFs were a huge boon to me when I started wet shaving. I had very little quality equipment, and was lucky enough to win a couple of PIFs to get a good brush or two and some quality soap. That was a game changer.

PickledNorthern, RyX, Zykris and 2 others like this.
  18. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I am the same as most of the people above. I only enter those with something special that I haven't tried, such as a soap. I have enough razors and accessories. Of course, when someone decides to PIF a Gillette toggle, my name will be first in. ;)

19. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I only enter ones i will use and I am looking for. I entered one on another site and won a gem SE razor i wanted to try, and i think i have entered one here, although i do always check as it makes me happy to see people helping each other out. Other then that i really dont add my hat into the ring as I have enough stuff, i will probably be doing a pif here in a few weeks.

Keithmax, lightcs1776 and Zykris like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The PIF Hunter killer verbiage:

Winner will be selected in an arbitrary and capricious way, or maybe in a random way, but there will be a winner.