PIFs

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by lightcs1776, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Like most here, I enter those that offer things I (or sometimes my husband) could use or want to try. I do look often, because I am curious as to what people want to share and also to enjoy the generous spirit of this board.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096: :signs011:

PickledNorthern and lightcs1776 like this.
  3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

When I first joined, I entered most, because I had no idea what I did or didn't like. 5 years later, I enter a very small portion of them, because now I have a much better idea of what I won't like.

Keithmax, Enrico and lightcs1776 like this.
  4. mayer57619

mayer57619 Well-Known Member

I enter the ones that have something new to me, which is quite a bit, or if there is a favorite that my 16 year old would like. Also have 4 more boys, but they are 10 and younger so it will be a while till they need gear.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Now that I think about it, when I first joined TSD and first started wet shaving, (2014) I entered and won, quite a few PIF's. So much so that someone, can't remember who, and to lazy to look, dubbed it "The year of the Squirrel". Needless to say, I was set very quickly and since, I only enter if the PIF is something I have had my eye on. As it is, I am currently trying to use up what soaps I have and I know what I like. I am set for blades for a few years and I have plenty of brushes. I also have a box under the sink that I need to PIF, either in several PIF's or in one big one.

A large part of these items are from Fishcrow's box tour, which, I believe is now defunct as the box has disappeared one too many times. Be that as it may, I want to give a shout out to @Bobcat , @fishcrow , @Yehuda D , @JR Reyes and @GDCarrington, who has long been missed. Apologies to those whom I have left out whom I have won from their PIF's. These guys have been here since I started and while I am may not post as often as I should, generosity from these fine gentlemen and so many others on TSD is what make this place so great. TSD is the only shave forum I have been on and the only one I will be.
    And of course a big thank you to @Queen of Blades for making and keeping this place so great.
    Thank you all.

(Step off soap box.)

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yeah, but being regularly involved doesn’t make it cool when guys who have more stuff than Mr. Razor himself, still jump into every last offering for the most user grade stuff. Doesn’t happen often, but it does.

7. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

You've been a member for five years and do not have a custom title? The insanity!

8. brit

brit in a box

i enter the ones that i haven t tried or stuff i can t find up here in eskimoville. i am always grateful for the opportunity and try to post as such..

Screwtape and Keithmax like this.
  9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I only enter PIFs that have items that I;

a) currently need
    b) have been really wanting to try

or

c) really want someone I know to try (a "newbie")

Keithmax, Pilotcld and Paul Turner like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

For me, it's those that get my attention. , When there's a PIF that doesn't suit me, I always try to thank the person doing it, for...well,. "doing it". :) I have to admit that PIF's have helped me great deal this year, as a NB18er.

11. GADback

GADback Well-Known Member

I only enter ones if I really believe I will use it. A couple of times I won an item I didn't enjoy and I did PIF it to someone else.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Shhh!

mrchick likes this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Disclaimer: I am on TSD staff on a volunteer. Please note, I do not speak for @Queen of Blades (Joanna) in any way, on any topic, other than quoting her published forum rules.

The following is the sole opinion of Chris as a member, observer and reader/participant, and individual person.

/rant

Sometimes, I believe a certain confusion arises by the way we use terms in our forum culture. What we call "pay it forward" or PIF, is maybe better thought of as a drawing aimed at curious new converts.

When running a PIF random drawing, I feel that judging anyone's intent publicly for acquiring "free" items is something I've forfeited by allowing anyone an entry chance at no cost. Price point of free, or continual participation in a "free" market simply isn't enough information to divine intent anyhow.

If the purpose of this thread is to encourage more behind the scenes unacknowledged generosity, I am for it.

However, I am certain that PIF hunters exist, but don't feel the need to spend time on them or nebulously "call them out." If, I don't like the results of my own "generosity", then it's probably on me to find different methods, or to examine my own motives.

/rantoff

14. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, I had no intention of judging anyone's motives. In fact, I hadn't actually thought about it. Personally, I don't have an issue with someone entering every PIF possible. However, I see many folks graciously declining very nice items, which lead me to consider how people decide when to throw their names in the hat. So far I have found the responses interesting and positive. However, if you or others feel it is best to close it out, please do so. I won't take offense.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai and Keithmax like this.
  15. FatherofSquirrel

Now that could be a good custom title.

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I only enter PIFs where it’s an item I want to try and it’s a small item that will not be prohibitively expensive to ship to me. If the item does not work for me I give it away via PIF.

When I run a PIF I decide in a capricious manner and rarely random.

mrchick, wristwatchb and lightcs1776 like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    PIFs are fun. I like to enter one if I see something that interests me. I also like to do PIFs. I had never thought about PIF hunters before, and I was warned about some on my last PIF. That reminds me; it's about time for another PIF

18. FatherofSquirrel

Ya know, GD Carrington had a way of weeding out PIF hunters. He knew how to make ya work for a PIF.
    They were always fun, but they were work.

Screwtape, mrchick and wristwatchb like this.
  19. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I don't worry about PIF hunters myself. Personally, I think it's a PIF anytime you or other talented folks here post pictures of the brushes y'all make, especially when they are out of wood.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai, mrchick and wristwatchb like this.
  20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

You’ve been outed
    Let’s hope @Queen of Blades doesn’t notice.

Bama Samurai likes this.