Pinaud Clubman

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Hank, Nov 10, 2010.

1. MObigfoot

MObigfoot Active Member

It has an Earthy - flowery scent. It is refreshing. I actually got mine by grabbing the wrong bottle. I was after the Clubman Original which as others have said has an Old Time Barber Shop smell. I use use the Pinaud 3 or 4 times a week.

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Maybe it is something that you just weren't used to at first. A lot of ladies do love that "dead man's scent". Keep shaking the bottle.

Jim99 likes this.
  3. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Powdery jasmine with some mild spice (not to be confused with Old Spice) to it.

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

also oakmoss and bergamot...a touch of lemon

5. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Oakmoss is largely responsible for the mildly spiced bits in the scent; generic description was used because 1) the notes were already listed and 2) some folks don't have a clear idea of what 'oakmoss' or 'bergamot' smell like, by themselves.

6. Paul Turner

that would be me. But I love using Clubman.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Your source sucks. Ed. Pinaud was born on December 29th, 1810. He purchased a perfume company that was founded in 1810, thus adding the "since 1810" to Ed. Pinaud's business line.

I seriously doubt that (as much of a prodigy as he might be) he created Clubman the day after he was born.

This falls under "creative marketing."

Edit: The Clubman line was launched in the 1940's from the American branch of the company, which is why you never see truly old bottles of the stuff on eBay.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  8. Paul Turner

wow...I'll have to see that for myself-not that I doubt you. Reminds me of what was said about Abe Lincoln-that he was born in a log cabin he built with his own 2 hands.

9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Sounds like you overdosed. Try dabbing it on instead of using it like a splash.

Jim99 likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Lilac Vegetal as as the fragrance of the Hungarian Calvary, and Pinaud being the personal perfumer of Napolean are both fictional stories as well.

11. Paul Turner

the Clubman by itself. Nothing else is needed.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This is a similar problem my sons had when they worked for the church's facilities department and had to clean the preschool nursery on a daily basis. They were immediately put off by the harsh 'diaper pail' smell that permeated the area. But the longer they were exposed to the off-putting smell, the less it offended them. This process might also work with Clubman.
    No doubt…..
    SafariScreenSnapz505.jpg

This will accomplish nothing—unless, of course, you leave the top off.
    The less that remains within the bottle after shaking, the less likelihood of having to decide whether to wear it the next day.

Jim99 and PLANofMAN like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Jim99 and NapalmCola like this.
  14. MVeeI

MVeeI Well-Known Member

I first used Clubman in December 1965. My barber gave small (about 2 oz.) bottles to his customers as a holiday gift. I liked it, and use it now. The scent takes me back to 1965.

GeneRector and Paul Turner like this.
  15. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

I just bought a bottle of clubman today it reminds me of a barbershop that my father used to take me to!

Paul Turner likes this.
  16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Not like the Bay Rum at all. Just an old school barber shop scent.

17. Paul Turner

that's the same thing that MANY buyers on Amazon and other sites have said. I say it, too. But that is a great feature of the product.

18. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

I used it today for the first time and really like it!

19. Paul Turner

I have the 16.oz "Country Club" AS, and the "Country Club" shampoo. Also the Greaseless Hair Tonic. I'll have Clubman stuff around for a long time. I'm glad you like it, ilts.

20. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I like it, use it often too. An additional bonus is that my wife loves it! Lot of neck nuzzling and stuff when I use it. Darn! I should use this stuff more often.

mrchick likes this.