Pinaud Clubman

Discussion in 'Aftershave Reviews' started by Will, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

This is going to sound a lot like my AV Musk review.

It has a kick, not real big for moisture, cooling, or soothing.

But It will do wonders on healing and its very cheep.

THE SCENT IS WHAT A MAN SHOULD SMELL LIKE!

Also it is a nice face toner too!

Paul Turner likes this.
  2. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Probably the most healing AS I have used.. And it smells wonders too.. One should never be without this classic..

Paul Turner likes this.
  3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The scent of this stuff is ideal, for me, in the summer. Seems to work very well with my chemistry in the warm weather.

Can't be beat for the "barbershop effect"

This is a hardcore aftershave splash.....1) alcohol 2) water 3) fragrance

Has a keen ability to kill irritations and give your skin a smooth, BBS feel

Highly Recommended

[​IMG]

4. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I love the smell of this AS. Of course, I'm a sucker for the "barbershop" smells. But this one isn't overpowering in the correct dosage, and works well with my skin chemistry.

5. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

Belongs in every Shave Den

I'm very re-enamored of the classic "BarberShop" scents from my youth. The Pinaud firm goes way way back as perfumier's to the Courts of the Louis's in France.

Clubman is one of my favorite scents. Hoyt's 1868 is probably the only scent I wear more often. As one of the previous reviewer's stated, Clubman makes a man smell like a man ought'a smell. I'd only add that that man's a gentleman, a CLUBMAN.

Clubman is also (kind of amazingly to me) still readily available & carried widely in your typical "big" chain drugstores.

Clubman is also ridiculuosly inexpensive for a scent of the first order.

This is one of the few scents (+Hoyt's, +Lucky Tiger Aspen) that will always have a place in my cabinet of toiletry delights.

Heck, I already told SWMBO that when she plants me, I want my SR 3118 & Hoyts & Clubman stuffed in the box with me. If there's a heaven, I'll be shaving BBS everyday. If OTOH, it's Hell for me, at least I'll have sumtin' to Drink !!!

If you haven't tried this lovely old Classic, pick'ya up a bottle. It's dirt-cheap
    & if you're a total Weirdo 'n don't like it, at least it won't have cost'ya a fortune to try it out....

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Another favorite, great price and smells great :D

7. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

This stuff feels nice when splashed on after a shave. however, it smells rancid, not only that it lingers all day. Just to top it off SWMBO hates it.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I don't blame you--I hate it also. The scent is awful, and it's have no skincare good enough to help after a shave.

9. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

Good product but easy on it.

Im a fan of most Pinaud/Clubman products but that one not too much.
    It as a great scent but if you put too much you will stink it all day.

10. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I have tried to like Clubman, but find it to be too strong and lingering, even in very small amounts. It seems more like a cologne. I like a splash I can throw on in abundance, give my face some benefits, and end up with a light scent. I like Stephans Bay Rum, Masters (several), and Dominica for this. In the Clubman line I like Vanilla and Bay Rum when moisturizing is not essential.

As an added thought, some have posted that they consider Clubman and the Clubman Musk to have identical scents. I find the CM to be a softer, more refined scent, making it much easier to take.

11. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

This aftershave is ok but smells too much like Brut to me. I'm not a big fan but it is better than most of the Clubman aftershaves which to me smell kind of odd.

12. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

What a great scent. I swear it's like just leaving the barber shop. Has a mild burn, but nothing extreme. Moisturizes okay, but not that noticeable. As far as absorption, this would have to be ranked highly, because the scent has great stay power. Lasts me all day and through to the following morning. Cooling is satisfying but nothing like a menthol product. It does make a "hot" face soothe quickly after applying and allowing time to dry.
    Can't beat the price for this stuff. I did a blind scent test with both of my sons, and neither could pick the difference of scent from Clubman to Brut a/s. Clubman is a slight bit smoother.

13. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

All around good, it leaves my skin feeling great.

14. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

THIS CLASSIC SMELL is one of a kind.

I really like the smell and usually wear this at least 4X a month. Though it usually ends up on my face 2-3 times (days) in a row. Then it goes back in the drawer to rest awhile. Great when you are in the mood for classic!

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

It absolutely stinks, and I mean stinks. Not only that, it's made differently than Pinaud Bay Rum, and it burns me badly, and gives me irritations, so never again, not even if I get it as a gift.

16. RickfromLafayette

RickfromLafayette New Member

This scent never fails to bring me back to Joe Bracca's barber shop in the fifties. I never get tired of the smell. I have tried every one of the more popular and more expensive aftershaves on the site but this remains my favorite. And, if you're thinking it's because of the low price, I have straight razors that I have paid hundred's of dollars for - a piece. It doesn't provide the moisturizing effect that other aftershaves or balms might, but my skin doesn't require that much.

My only gripe with this AS is with the company. Get rid of that horrible plastic bottle! Once you pour the Clubman in a glass bottle the scent decants into a more improved fragrance.

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. One of my all time favorites. Would never be without a bottle, I wear it at least twice a week. Can be worn year round, unlike lilac vegetal, which I only wear in spring and summer. Awesome scent and makes the face feel powdery soft and smooth. This cannot be said enough, "classic barber shop scent." There isn't a pinaud after shave or cologne I don't love. I love em all!!! ;o)

18. Richard Jackson

Richard Jackson Well-Known Member

Just got it today! Much to my surprise (and pleasure) it smells exactly like clubman hair tonic. Already shave today, but I think I'm going to go musk up right quick.

19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

TBH, this is the most healing aftershave I have ever used. However, the scent is way too strong and it lingers a long time. I like scents that fade quickly.

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Perhaps blending it with some witch hazel would help.

Paul Turner and Ryan B like this.