Pipe tobacco

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by mastermute, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I've never tried the #79, but I was fond of the #965.
    It was my first English blend.
    I also want to try Squadron Leader.

2. Philq

Philq New Member

Like I said its been awhile I meant 965
    79 is that other stuff I didnt like.:confused:

3. Adeptus_Minor

Can't find a reference for #79, but yes, #965 is good stuff.
    TobaccoReviews.com has been a pretty useful site as far as getting a feel for what's out there.
    Obviously, since the reviews are just submissions by the readers, you can't take any of them as gospel. But if you know what you like and find a reviewer that likes similar things, it can make finding new blends a bit easier.

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Member

I have tried several McClellands blends and every one has been very good. Deep Hollow is my choice right now.
    I stay away from the sweet cased or flavored blends and prefer the English types.

5. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

If you're talking about Sutliffe Mixture 79, all I can say is DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER, DANGER, DANGER. Having smoked a pipe for over 31 years, pipe tobacco has, for the most part been like pizza or sex (some is better than others but it's all pretty good). Mixture #79 is one of the few exceptions I've found to this rule. It's horrible. Very reminiscent of smoking a bowl of your great grandmothers perfume. It's bitey as hell and will permanently foul any pipe it comes in contact with. I have heard of a few folks that like it but they're few and far between.

6. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Penzance
    McClelland Black Woods Flake (lately on a pure VA binge)

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Some of my new baccy:

Cornell & Diehls Sunday Picnic (VaPer with Golden Va and Turkish)
    C&D Briar Fox
    C&D Three Friars

Uhle's 300
    Uhle's Perfection Plug Burley

.......................all are highly recommended
    Of course, there aint much I dont like. :eatdrink047

8. Wildtim

Wildtim New Member

Man I love this thread so much good stuff to try:)

9. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Thanks for the new recommendations!

10. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

The finest pipe tobacco on the market today, bar none: Old Joe Krantz (Cornell and Diehl)

11. Gnetics

Gnetics New Member

Unfortunately I have only been able to get Capt. around here since there is no local tobacconist, I will be trying Boswells a I have heard good things about there stuff. In the mean time a Padron will have to do :cool:

12. Adeptus_Minor

Shopping online is your friend.
    I'm lucky enough to have some decent local shops, but since you can't control what they stock, sometimes the online shops are the best source.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/

http://www.4noggins.com/

http://www.iwanries.com/

13. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Where can i find an inexpensive pipe? I looking at the 10 -20 dollar range.
    These pipes ive been looking at cost an arm and a leg. Can someone lead me in the right direction. I do want a quality pipe, not something that will tear up after a few uses. I love smoking cigars, but this seems to be a cheaper route

14. Adeptus_Minor

Take a look at that first link I posted.
    Also, give corn cob pipes a look. While some people look down their nose at anything that isn't a $100+ briar, cob pipes are inexpensive, good smoking, and will let you work on your technique without dropping a large sum on something you either might not like or might damage.
    I have a few made by Missouri Meerschaum and they all serve me well.

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

im awesome.

admirals choice vanilla cavendish - $9, sold at CVS
    blenders gold burley and black - walgreens house brand

both with some drying actually end up being great smokers instead of bubbling pipe killers.

as for real stuff:

half and half
    skandanavik
    altadis tobacco galleria blue note

16. Mandrake

Mandrake New Member

Mmmm, a few of my favourites are:

-Penzance
    -Dunhill's 965, Early Morning Pipe & Nightcap
    - And of course, St Bruno Flake!!!

A few pics of my stash:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. morefifemusicanyone

morefifemusicanyone New Member

x2 on the cobs.

Cobs have several advantages:
    - cheap
    - smokeable all day, briar has to rest between smokes due to condensation
    - no ghosting of flavors (they make great sampling pipes)

The only downsides are the lack of an imparted flavor profile (some pipes smoke certain blends better and the cake buildup provides some subtle flavoring) and the small size. I can maybe get 45 min out of a Missouri Meer Cob. Compared to a ~2 hour smoke from a Sav. Hercules, it doesn't hold a candle.

My favorite briars are Savineli Hercules, larger Bjarnes, Johs, and vintage Dr. Grabows. Cleaning out old Dr. Grabows actually gives a pretty decent short smoke. My favorite canadian was a Dr. Grabow Westbrook estate pipe restored.

As far as baccy, see below:

Virginian: Rattray's Hal O The Wynd, McClelland Christmas Cheer (08 was outstanding, imho), Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, etc.

VA/Perique: Escudo, McConnels Scottish Cake

English: Penzance, SG Squadron Leader, GL Pease Westminster, GLP Maltese Falcon

There are many great baccys, but those are must try baccys imo.

For a great resource and opportunities to trade for newbie samplers, check out the pipe forums at Cigar Asylum and puff.com. All great guys at these forums.

-Tyler

18. Batmang

Batmang New Member

Penzance

19. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Just finished some Big n Burley (Cornell and Diehl) in a 1938 Kaywoodie Apple. Very good, UBER cigarish.

20. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

Started smoking pipe on occasion about a year ago, I still smoke more cigars than pipe, but its a nice change and my lady doesn't mind it as much.

I haven't had much experience with the mass produced tobacco blends. I'm one of those lucky enough to have a couple of good tobacconists within a reasonable distance from my home. However, who really knows what they are putting in a jar and sticking a name on.

I've never had a Captain Black that wasn't at least palatable. I bought a cherry Prince Albert that I didn't care for, but it might have just been an old package from a disreputable source.

@jimmyfingers, I agree with the rest about Corn Cobs. For my first pipe I bought a $50 briar. I like it, but afterwards I bought a couple corn cob pipes for $5 each and I like every one of them as much as my briar. They don't look as fancy, but smoke just as good.