Polishing Powders for Honing??

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, May 24, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thanks. I will look into it.

Edison Carter and gssixgun like this.
  2. DaltonGang

I decided to hone a couple of razors, with the 30,000 and 100,000 grit Diamond Powders. I used a very hard JNAT, as a base. The JNAT is also what I used, as a finishing stone, beforehand.
    One thing I immediately noticed was that just the tiniest bit of powder, will make a lot of slurry. It was like paste, with the 30,000, at first, until diluted, a lot.
    The 100,000 seemed overkill, and I didn't see any benefits, as far as polishing goes. I believe the grit of the JNAT worked against the capacity of the powders. The more diluted the 100,000 grit became, the more of a scratch pattern was seen. Makes sense. A perfectly smooth piece of glass might be better for the higher grits. It shouldn't be hard to make, a glass hone. Just have two thick pieces of glass cut to sides, have the edges beveled. Then, use some diamond powders, of the desired grit, between the two plates, with a slurry, and lap them both. This should provide two flat glass surfaces to use that same powder on, and to use for lapping each other.
    Oh well, another time, and another day.
    Meantime, these two razors came out super scary sharp. They will be tested tonight.

F.W.Engels, ARGO Steel
    P8111102.JPG

P8111103.JPG

brit likes this.
  3. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Interesting experiment! Looking forward to hearing the shave test results.

DaltonGang likes this.
  4. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

Diamond pasted balsa are by far the most efficient and easy to use. Progression of .5um, .25um and .1um after 12k or so will deliver a laser sharp comfortable edge. Then post shave 50 laps on the .1um then leather and you will never have to hone the razor again unless the edge is damaged. I’ve been using this process for well over a year. Cheap too.

Leclec13 and DaltonGang like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Well, my first impression is, it smoothed the edge out. Still just as sharp, but a little smoother. Time will tell.

Leclec13 likes this.