practicing what I preach

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by peacefrog, Mar 2, 2007.

1. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I've been shaving with an HD since September, and lately I've been getting cocky, thinking I'm an expert by now. But over the past week or two I've been giving myself razor burn again on my neck. So the last two nights I redoubled my efforts at using no pressure. The result? Predictible. I've been getting a closer shave with no irritation.

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

"Vigilance!" as Mad Eye Mooney would say.

3. Zachster

Zachster Member

I've had the same problem -- I get sloppy and give myself razor burn and a few nicks. Every so often I have to slow down and pay attention...

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I started properly wetshaving last summer. But it still amazes me how easy it is to slip back into old habits. I still catch myself having to *remember* to use no pressure and proper angle. But like you said, Bob, the results of such caution and redoubling my efforts to use proper technique are really a treat!

5. RAMTIP

RAMTIP New Member

DE shaving still requires much more focus for me than cartridge shaving. I find my mind will wander to other things if I don't have something to keep me centered on what I'm doing. I started a silent mantra a while back to keep focus, and also attempt to reduce a problem I was having with over-shaving: "Make every pass count....make every pass count". That helped for awhile, that is until I did my first attempt with a slant/feather -- I literally filleted my cheeks due to too much pressure. Now when I shave with the feather it's "light as a feather....light as a feather...."

6. xEliteGunnerX

xEliteGunnerX New Member

Haha, when I shave I do it in an articulary way like I slash one part make sure its good and I don't cut myself move to the next part. Work my way down get a few good spots. Then back to the normal rutein of brushing my teeth and heading out the door.