pre-shave alternatives

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by huckelberry hound, Jul 13, 2013.

1. huckelberry hound

huckelberry hound Active Member

Leaving town for a week on monday and forgot to reorder preshave oil. Any suggestions to get me through the next week?

2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

3/4 Castor oil to 1/4 Extra Virgin Olive oil.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Make your own. I use equal parts olive oil and caster oil, along with a bit of cedarwood oil just because I like the scent.

BigT likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Good suggestions...and a cheap, quick solution too!
    I do the 1/2 & 1/2 as I find 3/4 castor too viscous. Lemon/bergamot scent...

5. huckelberry hound

Where to find scented oils?

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Health food stores; some organic super markets

7. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

The old hot towel treatment is a winner.

tuxxdk likes this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I like 1/4 castor oil to 3/4 olive (or grapeseed) oil.

DLreno likes this.
  9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Or just a good ol' plain face wash with a select soap.

I've never tried a pre-shave oil-mixture so I don't know what I'm missing, but I do know that a regular face wash works. For a week only I'm sure it'll substitute the trusted oil perfect :)

10. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

In a pinch, even grapeseed oil alone is a decent pre-shave. You can add caster to thicken it up if needed, but I was surprised to find that did little to improve the performance. For travel I skip the oil entirely and just face lather with a soap stick, which gives great prep.

5Savages likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I would advise NOT using congealed bacon fat as a pre-shave prep.
    Sure, it's cheap & makes you smell like breakfast all day long, but the persistent flies buzzing about you can grow wearisome.

HeisenBadger, vwp528 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  12. huckelberry hound

Lol, thinking I'm going to go with out it and see how it does

13. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

You can also try applying lather, then a hot towel, then relather and shave.

14. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

I picked up a bottle of Jojoba oil from Trader Joe's this weekend. I read that it's a fairly mild "oil" (but its actually a type of wax) and can be used either diluted/mixed with other oils (like olive, caster and grapeseed) to use as a homemade pre or post shave oil. I have not tried it as a post shave, because I didn't feel like being a mad scientist in the kitchen. But, I did add about 3 drops in my shave bowl before working up a lather with my RR Classic shaving cream and it did add a bit more "slickness" to my shave. Neither my brush nor my razor suffered any, but I probably won't do it again. For me, I think I'll use the Jojoba oil more during my post shave, since it has more restorative properties than anything else. Once I decide if I like my EMJ post shave lotion or not, I'll start experimenting more with the Jojoba.

huckelberry hound likes this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Although it's not an oil, I use Corn Huskers Lotion as a preshave, do a Kyle prep and hot towel...This combo works very well for me....YMMV of course but its cheap,readily available and I.M.O. worth a try as your normal routine is now out for a bit.....:shaver

16. HeisenBadger

HeisenBadger New Member

Maybe try washing with a glycerine soap and leave some on your face.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sooooooooo, what did you wind up with?

18. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I'm using Clearasil with very good results followed by hot towel applied on lathered face

19. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

Ive been washing/soaking my face with plain ol' black soap first, while soaking my brush and shave soap and then cleaning up(hair feet body etc). When I'm done, my face, brush and shave soap is soaked, and I'm ready to build lather.

I try to leave the soap on my face as long as possible to soften, and have had no problems. I like the black soap now but before I used regular Pre de Prevance soap with no problems either. In fact I used to cartridge shave with PdP soap for years, and it worked perfectly. I softened the same way I do now, but kind of used the soap on my face twice (one to clean/soak and then to shave).

20. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about using this CVS product as a preshave oil? It is cheaper than Castor oil. I'm going to pick some up and try it. What do I have to lose?