Prep Technique for Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by rick, Feb 5, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

OK, so the "official" :D method has been working great. Lots of lather with staying power. No sign of breech failure. Sounds like a blow back from a revolver gone bad doesn't it?

So today, I accidentally overdid the soap water amount and started out with thick lather soup. My fix? I swirled it real good and got everything nice saturated. Not good to shave with though. I was using HBS Vanilla Oak. I then started adding glycerin to the mix on a whim instead of trying to get more soap from the puck to even it up. It worked. The lather thickened up and I got four easy passes out of it. I added more glycerin to the mix between passes and kept getting nice, thick standing lather. The one peep out of the alum block was from a pressure mistake on one of my trouble neck spots. I need to try that again on a normal day and see what happens.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

:confused: If I could just get a consistent, proper lather with my Williams soap, it would be super. Most of the time, it doesn't seem to want to work right for me...:( If the lather goes on good for my 1st pass, it gets weak for the 2nd one...:mad:

3. mercV12

mercV12 Member

I'm going to try that tomorrow A.M.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den!

5. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Welcome to TSD, mercV12

Hey Rich....
    when that happens to me I just add a squirt or 2 of my KMF unsmelly shave cream to the soap soup.
    Its ALLLLLL good !
    :D
    .....I'm gonna try your glycerin trick. I've got to use it for more than my ASB blends.

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Isn't it though? :D I have some Proraso Red for the same thing but, I found if I just added a couple of squirts of glycerin it thickened it up nice.

7. herzi

herzi Active Member

Amount of lather?

Other question:
    What do you do with such an amount of lather? This would be enough for me to shave a week long. It would be a pity if such a lot is going down the sink.

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, some guys shave their chests too and if there's enough lather who knows what else :rofl

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:happy001 My girlfriend wants to know if all the excess lather going down the sink will eventually clog it up :eek:

10. herzi

herzi Active Member

I think it would be betteer for you if I say NO :rofl

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

It's one of the pendulum things. I started out with two little lather and then I got too much lather and now I'm dialing it back to more moderate amounts. I don't worry too much. I bet I have enough creams and soups to last me a decade if I minimized the lather. I also shave armpits and other areas on a regular basis for hygienic and comfort reasons.

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

No more than washing your hands with a soap does. :D

13. Will

Will Nevermind

Say it could.........then one day when you want to get away from her take all your tools to the bathroom and act like you are working on the drain.

Hide the Brew and PSP in the shower. :D

14. Queen of Blades

:eek: I KNOW your gf is not a blonde. What kinda question is that!!! :confused:

15. Kaifa

Kaifa New Member

Just tried this morning

Hi,
    I'm a newbie in this forum.

Just tried this morning this method of lathering.
    The difference is that I soaked the brush in hot water, then shaked like hell: in this way it was nearly dry but warm and softer.

The lather was the best I have ever did.
    Thank you for this thread :happy088 :happy088

F

16. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Hello "F" !
    Glad you found us....Enjoy your stay :D

17. herzi

herzi Active Member

Hello F,

welcome here. Enjoy your stay.

18. Kaifa

Kaifa New Member

Thanks

Thanks to you all for the hospitality and for all good threads I'm reading on this forum

Ferruccio (that's my F, a northern Italy name that only a few persons have)

19. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Welcome "F" , and you're welcome.

20. Queen of Blades

Welcome to The Shave Den, Ferruccio!