Probak question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Nov 23, 2014.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My dad sent me some odds and ends, including a pretty well-made three piece handle I hadn't seen before. I saw this pic today,

[​IMG]

...and I guess it's from a Probak, which I know zero about. Can someone give me a rundown on Probak razors? Thanks...

GDCarrington, Jayaruh and PanChango like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice looking razor.

I have heard of Probak before but don't remember the details so I will defer to others. (either lost a lawsuit or was acquired by another manufacturer or something)

*Edit To Add as found at BB shave wiki.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    GDCarrington and gorgo2 like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think they were made about the time Gillette bought out autostrop.
    sure looks nice.

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thanks for the input, gents. The handle is a little on the slim side but has a surprisingly nice heft. Since I don't have the head, I really don't have a use for the handle so it'll go in the Franken-box.

I did use it with the Fatip this morning and it improved the shave as much as it could be improved...which for me, ain't enough.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have one and they tend to be aggressive or at least the one I have is aggressive.

The razors begain production slightly before the settlement and buyout since they were the beginning of the issue in which Gillette violated AutoStrop's patented razor/blade design. The Gaisman along with the court in the determined that in the settlement and buy out process Gillette management had fraudulently overstated sales, revenues, and profits which in a chain reaction caused Gillette management to be totally replaced by Gaisman and his AutoStrop managment team. The hostile takeover by Gaisman was completed due to the greed and incompetance of the Gillette upper management team.

Condensation of text pages 158 -161 from King C. Gillette - The Man and His Wonderful Shaving Device​

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If yours with the head was like mine is, then you would relegate it with the FaTip.