Proper use of alum block?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Slowhand, Oct 22, 2010.

1. bordeaaj

bordeaaj New Member

Alum will sting like hell if you've done more scraping than shaving. It can be a good tool to help you learn to lighten up on pressure while shaving, etc. When you do a good job you barely feel it at all.

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Member

Nice video by chimensch. In going to tackle straights one of these days and that video is a perfect primer.

3. Jackliquor

Jackliquor New Member

Noticed that the alum block makes my face dry as hell but for some strange reason I continue to reach out for it after most shaves. I rarely follow it with a balm. Once I followed it with even more aftershave (Pinaud Bay Rum :D ):D. Perhaps I am getting what I deserve :)

Andy

4. Grazer1

Grazer1 New Member

For what it's worth as a newbie, and I might be wrong, my post shave routine is as follows.
    1. Rinse face with warm then cold water.
    2. Apply Alum block liberally over face whether or not I've nicks , weepers or bloodspots ( I like the tingle).
    3. Dry off razor, scuttle, rinse brush.
    4. Rinse face again in cold water and dry.
    5. Apply witch hazel solution liberally and let it dry off.
    6. Tidy, dry and put everything away.
    7. Apply Proraso A/S balm to face.

I apply aftershave in the morning following my shower as I always shave at night.
    Current favourites are Green Irish Tweed and T+H 1805.

5. Steve_1993

Steve_1993 Member

Be great for where I am, at this time of year it's Mosquitoes galore , they are literally around here by the millions