Proraso White Pre-Shave Review

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by feeltheburn, Oct 17, 2014.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I'm just about done with my first jar of Proraso pre-shave and wanted to give my opinions on it.

First off, the scent is a bit difficult for me to pin down but I think it seems like a mix of lemon and mint (maybe just from the menthol). It's a nice fresh, clean scent and is a bit stronger smelling than the soap. The menthol kick is great.

I had high hopes for the performance of this stuff but after an extended test (about 6 weeks), I have to say it's not the best pre-shave I've used. I have tough whiskers and softening them is my main goal. That's where this stuff leaves me wanting just a bit more. My benchmark pre-shave is a glycerin face-wash like Nivea which softens my whiskers well enough that my blades can last well over a week. With this stuff, I noticed a variety of blades dulling much faster. Astra SPs only make it 3 days. Even Schick injector blades were dying after 6 shaves.

I know lots of guys like this stuff and I'm glad it works for many people. For me, it's not the best though. I have a jar of the green pre-shave that I'll probably try later to see if it's any different but for now, I'm looking forward to returning to my old pre-shave routine.

Easy Going, brit, dscaver and 3 others like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Nice review. Thanks!

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You mentioned a glycerin face-wash like Nivea. I have not tried that, so I am curious about your opinion. I have been using Dove Men's Face Wash successfully and am now using Noxema Classic Clean. My face wants to be oily and I have some psoriasis.

4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Yeah, I am not a fan of the Proraso White Pre/Post, at least as a pre shave. It seemed OK as a post but it has been months since I have used it.

5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

On a whim, I purchased the green variety of this product a couple of weeks ago. It, IMO, contributed little to nothing to my shave. Smells good though and I am a big fan of Proraso creams and croaps.

6. feeltheburn

I haven't tried the Dove or Noxzema but I'll put them on the shopping list and try them out.

7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Thank you for the review. Which nivea face wash is that? It sounds intriguing

8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

My experience is even worse. Not only did it not seem to do much in the way of softening the hair, it also caused extreme drying of my skin and left my skin red and itchy for a couple of days afterward. I tried it a couple of days in a row, then let my skin calm down for a couple of weeks and tried it again Wednesday to be sure. Yep, Dry, Red, Itchy scalp again.

9. feeltheburn

This is the stuff I use. It also has menthol which I like :)
    [​IMG]
    Whoa, that's a big picture.

brit likes this.
  10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Can't find it here =P I'm gonna look further

11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I had an issue with the White croap drying out my skin. That might have been a hydration issue however .

12. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of pre's, but I like the Proraso Pre's. It's not for every shave though, and I agree that daily it doesn't add much, if anything, to the shave. I like to use it when I haven't shaved for 3-4 days and have a build up of stubble. I work it into the stubble and then let it sit there while I whip up some lather. Works real good that way, always a comfortable shave.

brit likes this.
  13. Dr John

Dr John Member

I love the Proraso White (Green Tea and Oatmeal) pre-shave. It's especially good if I have not shaved in a few days. I think it has a very pleasant scent and it works nicely with a hot towel. The Green Tea and Oatmeal AS Lotion (Balm) is excellent too.

For me, pre-shaves are not necessary with some shave soaps or creams (Mitchell's & Taylor's Avocado come to mind) but seem to improve my shaves with the less 'fatty' or glycerin based creams or soaps.

I personally do not care for the scent of the Proraso Green.

Just my preferences.

Enjoy !!

brit and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  14. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I enjoy Proraso Green pre. The menthol feels great and let's me make any shave a chilly one.

crackstar likes this.
  15. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Sorry for bringing this on back from the dead, but how does it compare to a preshave oil? Homemade/AOS etc.

16. feeltheburn

Other than serving a somewhat similar purpose there's really not very alike at all. The Proraso pre-shave is a thick cream.

Spit_Fire likes this.
  17. Mr. Shaverman

Yeah, completely different. Proraso is like a cold cream. If you'ved used Noxzema or Pond's, it's like that.

Spit_Fire likes this.
  18. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Ok thanks. I've used oils but not really a cream.

19. Mr. Shaverman

This is what it looks like. A little goes a long way and you just rub it into your beard.

[​IMG]

Spit_Fire likes this.
  20. Dr John

Dr John Member

yep.. rub it in and apply a nice hot towel (or not)

Tdmsu and Spit_Fire like this.