Pros and Cons of the different grinds?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 7055, Apr 12, 2016.

1. 7055

7055 Active Member

I was wondering what the pros and cons of the different grinds are when selecting a straight razor. As I understand, a traditional straight razor is more forgiving then a shavette because the blade has some degree of flex to it. Would that mean that a full hollow ground would be more forgiving then a wedge for the same reason?

Also, do you get more audible feedback with the full hollow because of the thinness of the blade you can hear it cutting through the whiskers? I think that would be really satisfying.

ob1page and HolyRollah like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A thinner blade resonates more than a thicker one, hence the 'singing' of a hollow-ground blade vs a thicker wedge. A large (7/8 or larger) full-hollow blade is quite noisy. Hollow-ground blades flex and contour to the face and thus can provide a close, comfortable experience. There are varying thicknesses of the grind, usually indicated as quarter, half or full-hollow. Personal preference plays into which is ideal for the indiviual shaver.
    Wedge grinds are 'silent' shavers- but robust enough for toughest beards. I find them no less forgiving than hollow ground razors. I have a light beard and find shaving with wedge razors very rewarding with excellent results.
    Btw: both wedge grinds and hollow grinds I find more forgiving than the standard thin shavette blade. Frame back blades are probably closer in size to the shavette but are still considerably thicker

Jim99, PLANofMAN and ob1page like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

One of your YMMV items. I find a 1/4 or near wedge is more forgiving than a full hollow. I find a thicker grind less likely to skip and I use less pressure because the razor is heavier.

Only one way to find out.

Bjoerge Brathagen and Jim99 like this.
  4. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

This is how I feel too. Hollow ground blades tend to bite me but the thicker the grind is the more comfortable it is for me. I have a heavy beard, really thick hairs.

Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  5. pundi64

pundi64 Well-Known Member

I enjoy the differences from full hallow to wedge, there is a slight different technique needed to shave with either. It is hard to say what is a better shaver, it is just personal preference. I have both in my rotation.
    I tend to agree with the answer above my return, a wedge seems to be smoother, easier to use, and a bit more comfortable on my face, but this is only my opinion.

Jim99 likes this.
  6. 7055

7055 Active Member

Yes, but you lose the sheer coolness of being able to hear the blade cutting through the whiskers.

7. pundi64

pundi64 Well-Known Member

If that is what shaving means to you only to hear the sound, then by all means stick with full hallow grinds

8. 7055

7055 Active Member

It's not only about the sound, it's just one factor out of many, that can make the experience more enjoyable and satisfying depending on personal preference.

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Even though I have a slight preference for thicker grinds I have to admit it is cool shaving with a loud razor.

10. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

My two cents: Thicker grinds seem to be a bit more forgiving, a lot of folks with thicker beards seem to favor them.

Thinner grinds seem to be a bit more audible to me. Seem to be more square points on hollow grinds than thicker grinds so slightly different technique.

Either way, lots of fun :)

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have found the heavier grinds are more forgiving to poor maintenance, but a well honed and maintained full hollow is a joy to shave with. A wedge will continue to plow through the whiskers, even if the edge isn't perfect. A hollow might start to skip or chatter, with cuts as a result. The best way to figure out what grind you want is to buy one of each. :)

Bjoerge Brathagen and MattCB like this.