Prosaro shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DaveO, Sep 6, 2013.

1. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I just got a Prosaro Eucalyptus and Menthol tub of shave soap and used it this morning. I don't know if it is my imagination or what, but the razor glided so much better than the shave soap that I was using. Is there something in this shave soap that makes it shave better and glide over your skin. I don't know why I got the Eucalyptus and menthol. I probably should have gotten the Sandalwood or another mild one. The Prosaro seems to be whipped so it may not last as long as my others which are Williams. The scent of Euc and menthol doesn't seem to be too strong and hopefully it will not fight with my after shave.

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I didn't care for Proraso myself, but it gets consistent high marks as a recommendation for newbies b/c it is so easy to lather and so slick.

3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

The Proraso has coconut oil and glycerin, it's an italian soft soft. Cella is another great soap with coconut oil (also and italian soft soap). The Proraso creams are also very good, and very easy to lather.

Tdmsu likes this.
  4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I had loved the Proraso Green soap and then I started to hate it, and now since it's been reformulated I love it more than ever.

5. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I find the newer one better than the original. The scent is a little less drop kick you in the face with the Koala farts.

6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm allergic to eucalyptus. I liked the cooling effect, slickness, and how it lathered... that is until my face broke out really bad and took weeks to heal.

I love Proraso White though.

crackstar likes this.
  7. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

I just stumbled across a tub of Proraso in the classic green plastic tub, in a local barbers shop window,.........SO I bought it. THEN found out it is eucalyptus (Great, I'm surrounded by bloody gum trees) Keep in mind I live in the country in Australia !!. But once I opened it and had a smell, I found it wasn't too bad. Looking forward to just lathering it up and see how it goes as REAL shave soap is VERY scarce around where I am. Mind you, I am not looking forward to using this as my soap of choice, cause I just don't dig stuff in plastic. To add insult to injury, he also had an Omega chrome base brush so I bought that too and guess what is under the chrome ?????? PLASTIC.
    Next purchase for a more permanent set-up will be A Kent Pure Badger brush and a tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street OR D R Harris Almond soap ..........None of which has anything to do with plastic I trust.

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Plastic

Most creams come in plastic tubs.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'll tell you something - you're not alone because many guys have issues with the Proraso Green soap, and they find the new White bowl a godsend. :) I just used it this morning and it made my skin feel like it was born again. It also has more than enough menthol to give a nice cooling effect.

RaZorBurn123 and Ryan B like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

As I've mentioned in other Proraso threads— I loved the stuff! Great, easy-to-make lather that provided ample lube for great shaves.
    I didn't really mind the scent, BUT when your wife and family starts asking if you're sick (??) because they think you are slathered in Vick's Vapo-Rub, it's time to find a new shave soap. ;)

[​IMG]

vwp528, Omelmad and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. Peter Cupitt

Aarrggghhh (Girly scream) Plastic??? Euwwwwww. I will continue my quest to eschew all things cheap and "plastic-y"(new words are allowed right?) and seek to surround myself with things of old school ceramic, crafted timber, polished metal and as much engraving and carving as possible.
    I checked while I was typing and did find a few TOOBS soaps in Timber and pewter bowls (HUGE sigh of relief), so I must have had one of these fixed in my quite unfixed and unstable mind :rolleyes:

Slow Joe likes this.
  12. Star

Star Active Member

Proraso isn't my favorite, but I always keep a tube\tub of it around because it is very easy to lather and it just plain works.

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

What's wrong with plastic?

14. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

it doesn't smell like Vicks at all. Noxzema is closer. But heaven is what it smells like to me.

The_Dude_Abides and Erik Redd like this.
  15. Peter Cupitt

Hey Sunflake, when are you moving to Australia then mate? You can smell all the heaven you can handle just by breathing :) Maybe I should start making a Proraso knockoff in Australia, maybe call it Koala Shave Soap? Maybe I'll talk to Proraso ..................... after I learn Italian ................Maybe I should just keep thinking :signs002:

16. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

That may be a good idea. I could just rub a little Vicks vaporub under my nose and as you say breathe deep. I like it.

17. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Another option is to just buy a refill soap and place it in a container of your own choosing. I use metal containers from Ikea :)

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  18. Not Telling

Not Telling Member

True. Before I bought a new one, I'd pressed a bowl's-worth of Proraso into the bottom of a steel canteen cup - it's awesome for lathering up with the steep sides and the kidney shape.

I've only ever used Proraso - apart from that time I was travelling and could only find a Gilette shave stick... Proraso works great for me, but I really have no other frame of reference.

19. Peter Cupitt

As the old sailors/pirates would say, "I like the cut o ya jib, matey". I am going to do just that, in fact the ideas put forth by your good self and "Not Telling". have my creative juices flowing and I can picture something rather grand in my immediate future. Especially as I used the Proraso in the (you know what kind of) container it came in, today and as I tried to load up the brush the soap "puck" kept spinning in the container which just annoyed me even more :angry019: SO ........... I am also going to address the spinning soap issue at the same time !!

Thanks Guys :signs107:

Norseman likes this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

hmm... currently cutting my beeswax with Vaseline for my 'stache wax.
    Vicks... I wonder... :rolleyes: