Q for money clip guys

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Jun 22, 2018.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Took a last load of donations to a favorite resale shop and had one final look around. In a basket of wallets, pocketbooks, etc, was a Bosca 1911 magnetic money clip. Nice little front pocket wallet in gorgeous amber leather (basically British tan, my favorite shade), excellent quality and for $2, how could I say no? Question: it has two pretty strong magnets to hold bills. I see conflicting reports on whether magnets could eventually wipe the strips on credit cards. I know some of you here carry these; anyone had any issues with magnetic clips vs CCs?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Keithmax likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

20180622_074536.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    barbersurgeon, wristwatchb and AlDm like this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I have a magnetic money clip for front pocket cash but my cards stay in my wallet.

There may have been a time or two when I had a card near it but I’m afraid of exactly what you’re asking.

I’ve never had a problem and maybe the magnet isn’t strong enough to alter a card but I don’t want to find out with an empty gas tank and no cash.

BTW - that’s a really great looking clip

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I have a similar "no name" clip that I use when I wear a suit. I've not had any problems with credit cards getting wiped, but that said, they aren't constantly exposed to the magnet either. My suit-wearing days aren't many and the time my cards spend in the clip are only a few hours at a time. "Damage" might occur with longer or more frequent exposure. But, OTOH, I'd think that the manufacturer would have this worked out so that damage doesn't occur.

In any case, great score!

Keithmax, wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very nice looking. My guess, and remember this is only my thoughts. Cards with chips shouldn't be effected and for the one with magnetic strips are probably shielded by a piece of steel in back of wallet. BTW you got a great deal, they run at ~$85 on Amazon and have five stars. :happy088:

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thanks all. The questions I saw asked all date from around 10 years ago or longer, with nothing much current. So either guys quit carrying them regularly or there turned out to not be an issue.

Enrico, yeah I saw that once I got home and looked it up. It's sure is a nice wallet, should last for decades.

Enrico likes this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.jpg

Keithmax, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Very nice money clip! My hubby uses one. It takes VERY strong magnets to ruin a credit card; much stronger than the one on the money clip.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Now that I think about it, it doesn't seem all too many years ago that they started sending us new cards with chips, which I guess cannot be affected by magnets. Almost all the debate I found online dated back to at least 10 years ago and I don't think we'd been sent cards with chips yet. So maybe for that reason alone the whole thing is moot now.

Yeah, it's a nice item but I don't see how it's worth what they go for. But hey...whatever people are willing to pay, it's their money.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Been carrying a magnetic money clip for ten years at least, and never hurt a credit card yet.

gorgo2 and Keithmax like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

gorgo2 likes this.