Question on knot selection

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TitanTTB, Feb 26, 2013.

1. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Seeking some advice from the brush restore experts here as I'm working on my first restore.
    I started looking into knots and see that they can vary +/- 1 mm at the base. Do some knots tend to run smaller than larger?
    In my case the hole in the handle I'm woking on is a hair over 20mm in diameter and 18mm deep. I can drop a nickle inside but its pretty tight. I'd love to open up the diameter a bit more but its lucite and I don't think I can drill a flat bottom hole without messing it up too much. Am I right in thinking a 20mm knot may be too tight here?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, an 18 or 19 would work better. That being said, it's not hard to make the hole bigger. Go to the brush section and click on my brush sticky. Towards the bottom of the first post, there are a bunch of links to various brush restores. And more links in the following posts.

3. TitanTTB

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a 19mm knot.
    As far as enlarging the hole I do have appropriate sized drill bits but they all have a 'point' or centering guides that will poke through the bottom and show in the clear lucite. I don't think I can dremel it and keep the opening clean and round. Though I might be able to get a little more by hand sanding.

4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

A Dremmel tool with the small sanding drum can be a brush restorers best friend if he's careful.

5. TitanTTB

Good news, I picked up some more aggressive sandpaper and took it down pretty easily. I used the dremel to get the epoxy out and wasn't very comfortable with it so thats why I was hesitant to use it here. So I think I'm going to go ahead and get the 20mm knot and do the final fitting when it arrives then the final polish.
    When I get it finished up I'll post some pictures of it. :)

6. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

With a Dremel and little patience you can make a 21mm knot-base a 20mm.

[​IMG]

7. RG Epting

RG Epting Member

Thats what I did. Take some off the knot. Take off small amounts, you can take off but not put back.