Question on Whipped dog High Mountain badger loft

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by McCrae, Feb 28, 2019.

1. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I've been wanting to get a badger brush for face lathering and I've heard some really good things about Larry's brushes at Whipped Dog. I was thinking on getting the 24mm High Mountain, set at an extra 10mm lower. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this setup or one similar and can give me some feedback on how you like it. The only badger I own is a Stirling Finest 24mm. I'm looking for something a bit on the softer side but not floppy, to help with lathering.

Thanks

RyX and Hammer8 like this.
  2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with this specific knot. A general rule of thumb is the 2 to one ratio for silver tips or slightly over. So with a 24mm knot x 2 = 48mm loft. With a bulb style you could probably go a little higher, with a fan a little lower. Don't take this advice to the bank, it's just a general guideline. Knot density, hair type and personal taste will dictate your final choice. The most truthful answer to find what you want is to experiment with the loft. Good luck.

McCrae and RyX like this.
  3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

What's the loft on your Stirling?

McCrae likes this.
  4. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

I have a Whipped Dog 24mm silvertip that I had set an extra 5mm deeper. It really is a great brush, but if/when I do it again, I think I’d go 10mm deeper. Larry is great to deal with and very knowledgeable. Shoot him an email and ask him what he recommends.

McCrae, M14Shooter and RyX like this.
  5. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

50mm fan knot. I guess your right about just trying it out. Since the high mountain is more of a bulb style.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've got a 24mm WD-HMB set at 54mm loft but I'm thinking about dropping it 10mm deeper in the ferrule. It would increase the perceived density. Seems a decent quality knot. Don't recall it dropping bristles.
    WD High Mountain 24mm X 54mm loft.gif

BigMark83, brit and McCrae like this.
  7. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Mine is 24mm x 50mm

[​IMG]

8. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I have the 24mm Whipped Dog HMB. It came from Larry in a nice resin handle. I used it for awhile, but did bash it out and set it deeper, to 15mm, in another handle. Made a world of difference.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    RyX, brit and McCrae like this.
  9. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

Hmm, good to know. I'm actually thinking of setting it at 10mm lower after seeing some examples from around the web.

RyX and brit like this.
  10. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I have a Whipped Dog high mountain in 22mm. I like soft but was afraid of it being too floppy, so I ordered it set 5mm deeper. If I order it again, I will try it without setting any deeper at all. There is a touch too much scritch with it being set 5mm deeper. But everyone has different opinions. I like the softness of a Manchurian White knot, so that's what I'm comparing it to, & what I like.

RyX and McCrae like this.