Question

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Claude Stewart, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

Hello all and Happy New Year!!

Tried a new razor today. Udall 5/8”.

when cleaning and honing, I noticed the blade was lighter than my Double Duck. Wondered if it would be easier to nick the skin. And it was. A few actually.

Is this because it’s too light? Not allowing the weight of the blade to do the job?

Anyone else notice this?

Karl G and b1hart like this.
  2. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

For my world.....lighter blades call for what I label as 'controlled/forced momentum'. Not unlike shaving with a DE shavette one day, then a quarter hollow heavier blade the next.

The DE shavette I have to control, almost force it through a stroke to work (even with a brand spanking new blade). At the same time, control it not to nick me. A quarter hollow, shaving sharp, heavier blade just seems to need guidance through the exact same stroke.

Karl G likes this.
  3. Claude Stewart

Thank you

Karl G likes this.
  4. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

I find that when I don't shave for more than several days a heavier-bladed razor seems to give more comfortable shave. If I shave every day a lighter blade does the trick. I've got several 4/8 blades that are good shavers on every day shaves, but I wouldn't consider them for heavier stubble.

b1hart and Karl G like this.
  5. Claude Stewart

I think that is where my mistake was. Heavy stubble with a light blade.

thank you

b1hart and Karl G like this.
  6. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

If you have tree stump stubble like I seem to have, yeah, heavy stouter blade definitely makes the strokes less troublesome if the growth is 36+ hours. Shavette style tools almost feel like they've encountered one of those wooden power poles and 'dig in'. Deliberate shallow angle and momentum required for edge touch down.

Karl G likes this.
  7. Claude Stewart

Thank you.

Karl G likes this.
  8. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Yep, that's been my experience with them too. A good medium-heavy blade seems ideal.