Quick Update

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by qhsdoitall, May 16, 2008.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I'll give a quick update as to what has been going on. Work has been extremely busy and not getting any easier. I had my review written by the Vp of Finance because my boss retired two weeks ago. It wasn't great and the VP was part of the problem. Mother's Day was a disaster due to some family issues. On some bright notes, my shaves have been around 4.5/5.0 for the last couple of weeks. I have not bought anything except a few soaps and it looks like I will be concentrating on collecting a few more Merkurs and soaps only for the rest of the year. The Yamaha Silverado 1100 has been awesome. I'm getting the hang of it more each day. My training class is next month. I should be able to start riding it to work (38 miles/traffic) in another few weeks. I can't ride at night or on the freeway so I have to take back roads.

I had to come to a decision about horses recently. From both a time and money perspective, I am phasing out of horses for myself. My wife will still maintain her level of activity. Because of work and family obligations, being almost 50 and the sole family monetary provider, horses have become more of a job than a passion. This is not new, It's been going on a quite a while and I've been thinking about it seriously for about two years. I am going to sell the 5 yr old gelding since he needs to be ridden 5 times a week at least and I'm lucky if I can ride 3 times a week. The old guy (26) is going nowhere but he will continue to be used as a kid's lesson horse. The trainer will pay for 1/2 his upkeep. If I need a horse fix, and I surely will, I can get on him or my wife's 7 yr old horse any time I want. Actually, my wife would like it if I trained him on trail some. This was not an easy decision for me, I've been heavily into riding and showing horses for over 20 years but one I'm pretty sure it's the best all around.

So, there it is in a nutshell. I'm still here and I'm trying to cope with everything as best I can. You can't get rid of me that easy. I almost feel like what Rocky Balboa said to his son in the last Rocky movie. Something about it's not about getting punched. It's about taking the punch and still moving forward. :D

Oh, and I hope David Cook wins American Idol. I can't stand David Archuletta and I think Syesha Mercado was this year's Rodney Dangerfield. She got no respect. And, do you think Amber is going to croak on House and what the hell was she doing on the bus with House?

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Thank you for sharing!

Hope the job issues get sorted soon, if the VP is part of the problem... been there, but I "won" that one :p

Your desicion regarding horses sounds like it thought through and I wish you all luck, and it's not as if horses will be erased from your life entirely; I hope you get back the feeling of joy, instead of a chore!

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Sure he had time for American Idol but no time for us...:(

Just kidding bro.......I am sure it will all work out for you.

If not have some Garlic.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Thanks for the update, Rich!

I'm sorry to hear about the family problems and the problems at work - hang in there, buddy, it's all gonna be all right!

About the horses: As Johan said, it seems like a really thought-through decision and you alone have to know what#s best for you and the horses.

5. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

It sounds like you got the right mindset to get through all that stuff, bro.

Hang in there, I know you'll do what's best for you and your family.

Plus you might get to hang with us losers a bit more!! ;)

6. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I'd say come back here more often for a dose of sanity, but I don't think we collectively qualify as sane ;)

My sister had to give up horses when hers was put down after loosing a battle with Cushings. Horses take a lot of time and money from what I saw. She switched to a dog now. Perhaps we can change your handle to Bull Dogs do it all :D

It certainly seems like you've got the right priorities. You'll do just fine through all this. We're hear to listen, too.

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Rich,
    I understand completely about bosses. Wish you luck!
    Take care of your family and yourself.
    We're here if ya need us!

8. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Glad to see youve set your priorities. Its good that you still have options though as far as the horses are concerned. Take care and keep posting away :)

9. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Take care of the homestead, SM !!

Youre good enough, smart enough and DOGGONE IT !!
    ......................................................................we like you :D

Stay outta trouble, willya ??!!