Rapira Swedish Steel vs. Stainless

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Etoyoc, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I honestly can't tell much (if any) difference between the two blades when looking at them. They both shave very well and any difference in performance or longevity is just as likely due to the constant razor and soap rotation that I have going.

Yes, the outer container is different.
    Yes, the blades have different wrappers.

But if you took two unwrapped blades and set them side by side, are they different? To my eye, they are not. Although I haven't taken out a scope to look closer yet.

Does anybody know what actually makes these two Rapira blades different?

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I've wondered the same thing as well and also how they are compared to Voskhod blades since they are owned and made by the same company in the same factory.

3. NoahG

NoahG Member

Isn't there also a third that is just marked Rapira in an even plainer package? I have both the stainless and swedish supersteel but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. I definitely need more razors!

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I wonder if the blades are made from the same metal? They could also just be on different lines so might have a small difference in manufacturing. This is for the Rapira and Voskhod blades.

For the two Rapira I have no idea. Are the prices different fr the two? and then including voskhod?

I doubt they would make three identical blades, in the same factory.

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

The Voskhods shave differently; however, there is a key difference, the Voskhod are teflon coated. The Rapira are not.

There is at least a third Rapira variety (LUX) which I have a sample blade of, but have not tried.

I dug out my pocket scope. It can't take images, sorry.
    Well.. they all look the same as well as I can tell on this pocket scope. Yeah, there are slight differences, but I can get slight differences looking at a different part of the same blade. Either this pocket scope isn't good enough, or they all have very similar grinds. Maybe different metals are used as they reflected light slightly differently. However, that could be a function of the coating or the angle I was sitting in regards to the side light.

6. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

that is pretty interesting. The only thing that i can really think is different coatings as you stated. Or slightly different metals... Other than that if they are made in the same factory Not too sure what can really change. Unless they calibrate the equipment slightly different.

7. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Most razor blades except those made in Asia are made of steel from Sweden.
    The blade companies buy the steel is a large ribbon roll ready to feed into their blade making machinery.
    Whether the Swedes sell different alloys grades of their steel I do not know.

8. sumit

sumit New Member

Most razor blades are made of steel from sweden? Which ones are you talking about??

9. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

The raspira lux and stainless both favorite blades on mine , I would say they both are slightly sharper than the voskhods though the voskhods last longer and are slighly smoother , the raspira lux is smoother than the raspira stainless and I get more shaves from it . I paid $12 per 100 at bullgoose for tha lux raspira , I would rate the voskhod 1st . raspira lux 2nd , the ladas ( same factory 3rd ) , 4th would be the stainless raspira Think this answers all the questions from a lover of the russian blades . If you like astras the lux raspira would be a upgrade comparatively ysmv

10. colosilverado

colosilverado Active Member

I think that most of the straight razor blades of yore were made of Swedish steel. They have some of the best ore in the world. I don't think much has changed in that regard.

11. colosilverado

I like the Lux, but I'm not crazy about the steel/super steel. I think the Lux is smoother.
    I liken the razor blade comparisons to what I was told about leather goods...the treatment makes a huge difference.
    If you watch the Merkur "How its made", and the number of processes the blades go through, that is likely the difference.

12. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

You can alway check out "How It's Made" of the razor blades and the razors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9PnTPIKd3g

Not completely certain but migh be made at Merkur/Dovo (the video)

What kind of steel they use in St. Petersburg Russia I am not sure of.

13. dilly-b

dilly-b Member

I've not tried the stainless but the "super" steel blades are really nice, sharp, smooth, cheap blades. The drawback is that they WILL rust if you leave them in the razor and don't take them out and dry them after use.

14. colosilverado

That's what I watched that got me curious about all of this. Then, I visited this site...now I'm a junkie!

15. Godan

Godan Member

Some Rapira "Swedish Supersteel" blades came my way as part of a larger deal, and I happen to use one for its second shave this morning in an Aristocrat. It seems, so far, about equal to a Lord, which I think of as a pretty good second-tier blade.