Raw Shaving's razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Nov 15, 2019.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I never implied that stupidity or ignorance was any part of this razor's design. However, I'll stand by my implication that 'crazy' is a part of the design.
    Nah. Poor business decisions on other projects. There's a thread on B&B about it.

2. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Now, morbid curiosity has me seriously wondering: Why did RAW Razors think adding a lube strip was a good idea? Did the designers think, "eh, we want a D.E. razor that can be used with shave foam/gel, one so unique and apart from the pack that the rubes—er, customers—will shell out hundreds of dollars for each!" was really that great of a marketing ploy? Apparently, yes, but good GOD this was dumb on their part.

Keithmax, PLANofMAN and kjbarth like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Well, to play devil's advocate, it would make a good transitional razor for someone who is coming off of cartridges and actually liked the cartridge lube strips.

In 20 years, I'll buy one used for $5 to use as a paperweight. Since the company is out of business, I imagine those 'replacable' lube strips are unavailable.

Of course, the lube strips could just come off a generic regular cartridge... Or it could shave just fine without them. Who knows?

Michael_W and Keithmax like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Letting oneself get addicted often is stupid. Someone who knows there's a high risk of a very bad outcome, for oneself and for others, but precedes anyway..."it won't happen to ME" ...yeah, it's stupid.

PLANofMAN and Michael_W like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Addiction is not the result simply of being stupid. It is more complex as I have come to learn. It can be both genetic and environmental.

PLANofMAN and Michael_W like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And I come from a family with drunks and drug addicts so I know this stupidly first hand. Ignorance wasn't an excuse; the potential risk was always known but they proceeded anyway and lost. That is the definition of stupid.

Michael_W likes this.
  7. Chuck Naill

We all come from a familes of addictive and dysfunctional behavior. That in a of itself doesn't mean you understand anything.

Michael_W likes this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I wonder if the will release a straight razor with lube strips???

Michael_W likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

But I do understand everything here, very well. And I believe you do too. Know why? Because this isn't news.

People have known for thousands of years that drinking can (not necessarily will) lead to a wrecked life of drunkenness which moderns have tried to sanitize with the label alcoholism, which implies it wasn't the drunk's fault. Except that, yes it was: the risk has always been known that it damn well might end up enslaving anyone who takes that first drink.

"Not me!"
    is the thought that once occurred to every drunk and junkie as they proceeded to choose foolishly and ruined themselves. They bet that they could beat the odds, and lost. That's what it amounts to. You know it, I know it. The difference is, you make excuses for their stupidity and I won't.

You also know it's the same with all other drugs, which are now increasingly legalized. Already taking a toll on kids, which pro-legalization liars insisted would not happen:

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/201...for-abuse-among-teens/8471573675524/?ts_hn=16

It can only get worse from here. Since it's happening and will continue to happen, I'm going to call it exactly what it is.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    PLANofMAN, Michael_W and brit like this.
  10. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

:rofl:

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Kids in the foster care system are a classic example. They are at extremely high risks for both sex trafficking and drug abuse. Still, the decision to try drugs or alcohol is almost always thiers, as are the results of thier choice.

There is only so much you can blame on home life, lack of education, or even violent video games.

I've been a smoker since I was 18. I didn't start with the intention of becoming addicted, but I didn't walk into it without being aware of the dangers. I have no one to blame but myself.

brit and 178-bplatoon like this.
  12. Chuck Naill

I am not saying people don't make their own choices. I am saying that genetic predisposition and environment are behind addictive behavior. Had cigarettes not been readily available to you and you environment not made them appear attractive or acceptable, you would not have become addicted.

You wrote, "Somewhere, a cracked out meth head whispers to a sidewalk. "Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a DE razor with lube strips?" which indicates you think those addicted to methamphetamines in a negative way. What if we substituted " hopeless nicotine addict" for "cracked out meth head"? Get the point?

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Fair enough. As it happens, I am biased, I spent the better part of a year hosing human vomit, piss and crap out of elevators and stairways in addition to regular janitorial duties. (Serviced all city owned parkades in one of the PNW's larger cities). I enjoyed the job, as it was mostly outdoor work, and I got to meet a very representative slice of the local population.

My favorite was an older homeless gentleman who always wore a suit and tie and carried an old fashioned walking stick style umbrella, the kind that were popular before the invention of the baton sized ones everyone carries nowadays. Everyone called him 'The Professor.' He claimed to have several patents, and believed in multiple conspiracy theories. He was invariably polite, and well spoken, and had a broad depth of knowledge on many subjects.

And then we have the meth head I mentioned earlier. I had the unpleasant experience of rounding a corner just in time to see him rise from a crouch, pull his pants up, stick his hand down his backside, pull it out like he was scraping the whipped topping off a pumkin pie, and fling poo into some nearby bushes. There was, of course, a steaming pile of excrement in the center of the sidewalk for me to clean.

I've always wondered if people like him were so dehumanized, they had lost any inate self respect and decency, and choose to be as an animal...

Or if they did it as a gesture of defiance? 'This one last thing, I control.' I have the power to make another person clean up my scat.

Who knows?

One other thing. You know those cute little glass cigar tube looking things you see in truck stops and gas stations, the ones with a paper and wire rose inside, stoppered up with a craft store cork? If you see one of those 'charming little gifts for your loved one,' for only $2.99... You are looking at a 'legal' crack pipe for sale.

Norcalnewb, brit and stuartganis like this.