Razor blades from the past

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rbilly, Aug 31, 2018.

1. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I know people here like to research. I have a question, during the peak of the safety razor it seems the blades found in the US either came from gillette, personna, later on Wilkinsons, but there were also a ton of smaller cheaper brands advertised and used, if you look at the off brand usually they have some form of gimmicky name they all seem to come from new jersy. Was there one big company producing these blades under different names, or were they a bunch of small companies all competing for scraps? If this was one company does anyone have any history on them?

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

There were many small manufacturers. And if you read Consumer Reports from the 30''s you'll see they rated smaller manufacturers over Gillette. The best doesn't always succeed, marketing is king.

3. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Thats interesting, i wonder why so many seem to be in new jersy. Most of my older relatives only really remember using gillette blades. But it was also a long time ago.

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Depends on what period of time we are talking about . During the 30s Gillette market share was only in the teens. World War II wiped out a lot of their competition, just as WWI had helped grow them into a market giant.

July 1939. No Gillette here, apparently not "the best a man can get". The Blue Blade had rated a qualified recommendation in the 1937 evaluation.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Another recommendation for Dublekeen from a science journal. Dublekeen were CD's favorite blade 1935-39.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    gorgo2, Frijolero and rbilly like this.