Razor Handles - Threads

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Vlasta, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I plan to thread them to order. So if you order metric you get M5 x 0.8 and if Imperial you get #10-32. I believe I can get the handles drilled with a hole for M5 and still thread them to 10-32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frijolero likes this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Have them drilled for 10-32 using a #21. Threads will be tight for M5 x 0.8 but it will work if you don't plan on having the threads plated. Make sure they also put a countersink in at the top and if you tap them yourself, if you don't have a flat bottomed tap make sure you know how deep the holes need to be drilled and drill it a little deeper to take into account the point on the end of tap. If you hand tap them using a guide, a block of wood drilled out so the tap fits through it snugly no wobble then line it up or drill a larger hole on the underside centered on the tap hole of the handle to hold the handle will guarantee you thread the hole straight and not on an angle. Finally make sure you lubricate those taps and don't go too fast if on a drill press. Used motor oil works well for hand tapping.

Everything you need to know but were afraid to ask about drill diameters and tap sizes, etc. I use this chart all the time just to figure out what size drill bits are what when you can no longer read the markings on them.

http://www.brokenbolt.com/images/starrett-inch-metric-tap-drill.pdf

brit and Frijolero like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

i agree, pipe threads are also meant to seal and will wear quickly if loosened and tightened on a regular basis.

Frijolero likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

On a three piece razor if the threads are tight aka male and female threads are done to spec so they are tight with no slop you should get no leakage through the threads just like a soda bottle cap once tightened down.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i have one of these too.as a mechanic and engine builder for 35 plus years i find it very handy for many things.

Frijolero likes this.
  6. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I am going to get this one made in 316 stainless in a shorty as illustrated and also a full size.