Razor ID and Info

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Windwalker, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

I picked this razor up this last week, and wondered if anyone knew anything about it. It is marked Muschel, Reg. Germany with what looks like a shell on the front and Solengen on the back. How would be the best way to clean up the blade. I already soaked it in SB and brushed it with a toothbrush. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Hi Jerry - Sorry I do not know anything about that brand or make. It is probably OK, as Solingen razors are generally good. Dovo is from that region, for example.

In terms of cleaning I'd try some metal polish like MAAS or Autosol first. It is hard to tell from the photo, but if there is any pitting or rust you may have to sand it if you want to get it back to shiny.

There is some information here about how to clean and hand sand a razor. But try the metal polish first. Of course, if you do not mind the blued look you could leave it as is, as long as any rust near the edge is not effecting its ability to take an edge.

Good Luck.

James.

3. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

No, that's not true.

Here's a list of companies that were bought by DOVO:

1952 - Tennis
    1957 - Bismarck
    1957 - Ankerflagge (Carl Rader)
    1968 - Erich Hartkopf
    1969 - Kronpunkt
    1970 - Fontana
    1973 - Heups & Hermes
    1996 - Merkur

5. argus33

argus33 New Member

how much is too much? and when should you never walkaway

i found a straight razor, booger scissors, and some sort of clippers. they had $65 on the tag and it was a matching set. i haven't seen many matching sets before and they looked like they come from the 20's maybe. should i go back and pick this up.

i aslo came across a straight that was only $15 and it look almost like it was shave ready, you would have probably just put some paste down on the strop and gave it a good stropping and shaved with it. it was old not realy and rust to speak of just discolored.

Should have i not let these go?