Razor ID Please

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by The Zook, Nov 30, 2008.

1. The Zook

The Zook New Member

I thought this was a Ranger Tech, but then noticed the open comb - did they come two ways or is it something else?

[​IMG]

2. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

It's a 1938 Senator -- the silver version of the 1937 Sheraton. The Ranger Tech did not come out until 1941 and had, as you probably know, a straight guard bar vs. the open comb.

3. The Zook

The Zook New Member

Sweet... thank you very much for the info.

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

My pleasure, sir!

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

ummm what he said. I have to admit, open comb TTOs are one sector of Gillettes that I know very little about right now. Some day... :D Until then, I will just admire Rick's.

6. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i love my senator. that is all.

;)

7. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Rick,

Why couldn't this be a '40 Gillette Regent Tech? See my pix HERE and HERE.

Just curious since they both look the same.

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Hmm, those links aren't working, Bryce. But you are correct that it could be a Regent Tech. I understand that the he only difference between a Regent and a Senator was the packaging.

9. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I thought they were the same razor. Didn't know about the packing. Is one pre-war and one post-war?

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I know the Senator came out in 1938, and I think the Regent came out in 1940, so both would be pre-war.

11. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I know the Regent was made in '40 only. The Ranger Tech came along in '41. A fickle as Gillette has proven to be I think that both being the same razor with a different box might be right.

Anyone with a copy of Krumholz's book to help? Regardless of which it is the shave it provides is pretty darn hard to beat.

12. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I just read that the Krumhoz's book shows a the regent tech as a senator razor in a sweet brown leather case, but from I have seen there are more Aristocrats in those cases than senator razors, so who knows?

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I think Gillette did all kinds of mixing and matching. I have a 40's Tech "Aristocrat Model" that looks the same as any other 40's Aristocrat that came in the same black leather case with purple lining that was used for 30's Aristocrats.

14. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

It sounds to me that Rick is right and so am I. No wonder Gillette screwed things up and quit producing the DE razors. They couldn't keep track of what model was what! :confused:

15. The Zook

The Zook New Member

Just thought I'd update this thread with a new pic... she sure cleaned up nice!

[​IMG]

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

But the important question.. how does she shave?

Fuzzy

17. The Zook

The Zook New Member

Been hooked on my 48-50 Super Speed this week, I'll have to give it a go - it will be my first attempt with an open comb razor.

18. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

As Tony the Tiger would say, "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!" I have one and it is a great shaver.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Only DE i use anymore is an open comb..careful there Zook they are addictive.

Fuzzy

20. The Zook

The Zook New Member

I have a few other open combs as well, and a couple more on the way, including an Aristocrat score... might have to break my fear and give them all a fair shot it seems.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]