Razor ID Please

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jim Corbett, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

I just got a new gold Tech in a black leatherette case inside of a blue box with yellow stripe on the bottom with the words "GOLD TECH RAZOR" and "WITH 5 GILLETTE BLUE BLADES". Any info would be appreciated. It has no date markings and says on the inside "patents on box". Blades were not included. Date, value, mild or aggressive shave ? Thanks.

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

As I'm sure you've theorized you have a Tech razor plated in gold. These are mild shavers and were made from 1939 until the 70's with your model probably being one of the earlier ones.

3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

This is the one you are talking about, Jim. Nice find with the outer shipping box! (thanks to Achim for the use of his picture)

[​IMG]

4. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

These are from the 40's. They have no date code so can't be pinned down exactly. Although, they would be from before 1942 or after 1946 since razor production was strictly for the more pedestrian and military use razors from 1942-1946. That style of Tech is slightly more aggressive than the later versions, but still non-aggressive as a whole. As for value, one with the original case and outer shipper would be worth somewhere around the $35-$40 range I would imagine, if fairly pristine. Maybe more if a collector was fairly hungry for one.

5. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Almost. Interior of razor case is a wine color and the exterior on the lower left just says Gillette. Maybe not the right case ?

6. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Does it say "Gold Tech" on the inside of the case lid?

7. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Does the case fit the outer box perfectly?

8. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

This razor is new never used. I thought I would put in rotation with 4 or 5 other razors.

9. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Case is a perfect fit for the box.

10. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Gillette was notorious for using several different cases from different manufacturers, especially with the Techs. You can be pretty confident it is the original case. That said, I would love to see a few pictures of the case just for experience sake.

11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I figured it was. Excellent find then! I really would like to see the case as I haven't seen one just like it before.

12. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

I will take some photos however I am not sure how to post. I will figure it out. Also, I just noticed that your says GILLETTE with an arrow through it. Is that correct ? Mine is plain. No markings on the top.

13. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

So yours has no diamond logo at all, huh? No biggie there. Probably a generic case Gillette on hand that met the same dimensions the Gold Tech set case. Gillette wasted nothing.

14. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Inside of box just says Gillette made in USA

15. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Yes the diamond is there.

16. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

You definitely need to post pictures. Once you get them loaded on your PC I can walk you through a couple of different methods of posting them.

17. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Photos on the pc

18. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Okay, the easiest way to do it is reply to the thread. Just above the message editor look for a paperclip icon. Its just after the "paint palette" and "smiley face" icons. Click on the "paperclip". You will see a popup window with upload dialog. Browse to your picture files (hopefully you saved them as JPG files as BMP are too big) and upload by clicking upload button. Once finished simply close window and submit reply.

Reply to this message so you have the directions right there.

19. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Gold Tech photos

20. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Jim they didn't come through?