Razor Maintenance

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TrentRTR, Jan 11, 2015.

1. TrentRTR

TrentRTR Well-Known Member

Just curious how often you all clean your razors and how you do it? I've been using a new toothbrush and cleaning mine after each shave. I notice if I don't the proraso leaves some residue on it. Also do you remove the blade after each use or leave it in the razor after it's dry?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Clean with Scrubbing Bubbles prior to first use. After that, just a wipe down with a towel after every shave. Scrubbing with a toothbrush after every shave is, to me, overkil.
    The blade comes out, gets hand stropped, then placed in the next razor in the rotation.

Omelmad, ronkey, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  3. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

I keep a little container of rubbing alcohol to briefly rinse the razor off in after each shave. It keeps the soap scum from building up and helps prevent rust.

John Beeman, trey06dmd, ram57 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I initially do the scrubbing bubbles thing with an electric toothbrush. I then rinse and dry my razor after each shave. I rinse and dry the blade as well, but I return it to the razor for the next shave. Injectors do not get the blade treatment.

TrentRTR likes this.
  5. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

I just give mine a good rinse daily after each use then a good wash with an anti bacterial dish detergent at each blade change.

dscaver and TrentRTR like this.
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

It's working environment is in soap. I just do a rinse and dry it after each use.

TrentRTR, Shotwell, Edsland and 4 others like this.
  7. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

I just rinse under hot water, blow out remaining water and towel dry. I do a complete cleaning every 3 months ( toothbrush scrubbing) Even at 3 months it's not very dirty.

Jasio78, Bama Samurai and BigMark like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

After a good rinse, I flush the cutting head with a quick squirt of 91% iso alcohol to sterilize the head and displace water. No special cleaning needed usually.

Did you know that some very harmful pathogens thrive when fed soap and water?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serratia_marcescens

Due to its abundant presence in the environment, and its preference for damp conditions, S. marcescens is commonly found growing in bathrooms (especially on tile grout, shower corners, toilet water line, and basin), where it manifests as a pink, pink-orange, or orange discoloration and slimy film feeding off phosphorus-containing materials or fatty substances such as soap and shampoo residue.

<snip>

In humans, S. marcescens can cause infection in several sites, including the
    urinary tract, respiratory tract, wounds,[3] and the eye, where it may cause conjunctivitis, keratitis, endophthalmitis, and tear duct infections.[6] It is also a rare cause of endocarditis and osteomyelitis (particularly in people who use intravenous drugs recreationally), pneumonia, and meningitis.[2][3] Most S. marcescens strains are resistant to several antibiotics because of the presence of R-factors, which are a type of plasmid that carry one or more genes that encode resistance; all are considered intrinsically resistant to ampicillin, macrolides, and first-generation cephalosporins (such as cephalexin).[2]

ronkey likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

When I used a DE razor daily, I never left the blade in the razor following a shave.
    A good through rinsing of all parts (3 or 2-piece disassembled) in hot water, towel dry & reassembly.

10. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I did! That's why I dry it.

11. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

(especially on tile grout, shower corners, toilet water line, and basin), where it manifests as a pink, pink-orange, or orange discoloration and slimy film feeding off phosphorus-containing materials or fatty substances such as soap and shampoo residue.

I don't have any of this "growing" in my bathroom let alone get my razor near the tile grout, toilet basin ect.!

12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I rinse the razor, take out the blade, dry the razor with a towel, dry and hand strop the blade and insert it upside down in the razor I'll use the next day (which, as I'm in the 30 day challenge, is currently the same every day).

So many people, so many ways. Bottom line: just do what suits you best! :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I rinse the razor and dry it after each use. At blade change I clean it with a little rubbing alcohol. If the razor is going to be stored for an extended period of time then I take more care with cleaning before putting it away.

14. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

EWW!

15. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I usually towel dry one or twice a week, it help remove the soap scum.

16. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I have limited experience since I've only been shaving since the early fifties but I just rinse under the faucet after every shave and wipe the razor down with a damp cloth when I change blades - every two to three shaves. I never remove the blade unless I'm changing it and I never palm strop or cork the blade. These things are designed and manufactured to be used daily in a hot soapy water environment, with the possible exception of those made of plated Zinc alloy, and should not, better not in my opinion, require special care or extraordinary cleaning and preservation.

dscaver, Chuck F, Mr. Droid and 2 others like this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use a 3 piece razor (Weber DLC and Gillette "NEW" LCOC), so after every shave, I'll loosen the top cap and rinse leaving the blade in, then blow dry everything and retighten the cap. I never remove the blade except when changing, at that time I'll also take the shave head apart and wipe it down with a soft cloth. I've cleaned my 3 pieces out this way since I first started "traditional" shaving and have not had any problem with rust as of yet. I usually use the same blade for a minimum of 4 days, usually longer. :)

18. Bama Samurai

I didn't! And ended up with an issue with it in college.
    I agree! Whatever makes sense and keeps one sane is what one should do!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    macaronus and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

My point was that "soap clean" and "microbially sterile" are not even close to the same thing. Serratia m. is ubiquitous and found everywhere on earth...if we cultured your bathroom we almost certainly find some, even though I am sure everything looks clean and wonderful.:)

bdalemauger likes this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs011: I've done this for two years. Never had an issue.

Bama Samurai likes this.