RazoRock 400 Knot Removal and Swap.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DaltonGang, May 22, 2018.

1. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

I'm happy to see this thread, as I've wanted to do the same thing with my Razorock 400. I don't like synthetic knots either.

I'm wondering if a heat gun would have been a good application here after getting rid of the "hairs". Has anyone tried that or have an opinion on it?

DaltonGang likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Depends on the type of glue that was used. I've set at least four knots with GE brand 100% Silicone in a white & gold tube. It's not a rock hard set like two part epoxy. If your brush & knot is an old original the glue is probably dry and brittle. It won't soften up much with heat. Requires mechanical leverage like a Dremel or drill, or poking with an awl or screwdriver to break it up.

DaltonGang likes this.
  3. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

Thanks. I'm thinking specifically of the glue Razorock uses on the 400. Since the OP got it to soften with wet heat, I'm wondering if a heat gun could be used to do the same thing without the steam.

DaltonGang and RyX like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I would be hesitant to use a heat gun, only because they produce so much heat. I would think holding it would be a big issue. That handle gets real hot, even in water. I'm also not sure how the anodized finish would react to the high heat. The boiling water worked perfect, for me.

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

This is knot about nots(oh I'm so bad!), but I thought I'd just jump in to say that my raffle prize will be first Razorock product.

RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  6. DaltonGang

I'm still using the RazoRock 400 with the WD High Mountain. Fantastic feel, and this is a lather making machine. I'm still 100% satisfied with the swap.

brit likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

awesome..want to re knot my rr 400 with a maggard 2 band .26mm knot will fit? 24mm better?

8. DaltonGang

I've not used the Maggard Knots, just Whipped Dog. So, I dont know if they fit the same.