Razorock "Hawk" V3

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hogie, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Lomg-handled razors would be tough to get the perfect angle, I bet.

Hogie likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

There's that Razorock soap you advised me not to by lol.

Hogie likes this.
  3. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

You can buy it just fine. I was saying, be careful with the spelling when you post the shave! LOL

4. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Long handles are for those who are used to the modern cartridge razors. They have longer handles for the most part.

Paul Turner likes this.
  5. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

Based on recommendations, I switched to a sharper blade and went the a Feather Pro blade. This made a big difference with the Hawk V3. The razor was much more efficient than when using the Kai Captain Titan Mild. I also wanted to do a direct comparison between the standard and the A plate, so for both passes, I used the standard plate on the left half of my face/neck and use the A plate for the right side of my face/neck.

Did a two pass shave. The three day growth highlighted the differences between the standard and the A plate. The standard plate would get bogged down in my stubble and it was not a comfortable shave on the first pass. In contrast, the A plate did not get stuck in my stubble , was able to clear the stubble more efficiently and it was more comfortable than using the standard plate. I think in general, even on the second pass where the majority of the stubble was knocked way down, the A plate was still more comfortable to use. The A plate gave a little closer shave but the standard plate was more than acceptable. If shaved daily, I am sure I would be fine with the standard plate but since I shave every 2-3 days, the A plate is a better fit for me. No nicks or weepers, but the I had some razor burn on my neck (both sides) and on my face where the standard plate bogged down in my stubble. DFS+/BBS

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    Hogie likes this.
  6. GoodShave

Today I tried the Hawk V3 with a Feather Pro Guard blade.

I would not have considered this razor/blade combination had I not see a post from someone else who did it. The guarded blade definitely tames the OC plate but you still have to watch your angles as the blade can still bite.

Did a two pass shave. This combination did well in my chin and mustache area (though I still had razor burn in both areas). I had a pair of nicks around my Adams apple and had several nicks on the right side of my neck. I don't think the OC plate is for me, but in general, I have not found an OC razor that works well for me. I would say the A plate works best for me with the Hawk V3. SAS+

wombadom and Hogie like this.
  7. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

DSCN9981.JPG Late post! I got bike all washed and tuned so, I went to the sister restaurant to my fav, Little Italy 2. Didn't have the sweet watress there but, good food none the less. 85 mile ride. Sun finally came out when I was almost back home.

Hawk v3 shave with OC

Razor - Hawk v3 Open Comb
    Blade - Titan Mild 5th shave & binned
    Pre-shave - Proraso White
    Soap - Captian's Choice "Land Ho"
    Brush - the Perfecto brush that I rescued and brought back to life. It has stopped shedding hairs.
    Post - Thayers Toner "Rose Petal"
    AS - Captain's Choice "Italia"

Nice 2-pass shave WTG & ATG. I did manage to cut myself twice on my neck under my chin. I guess I got in a hurry wanting to head out on the bike. Alum stopped them and gave minimal feedback. The scent of the Land Ho is very nice. Thirsty soap! Still a very pleasant shave!

I washed bike this morning and then plugged it into my Super Tuner to set the fuel injection. Take for a 15 minute ride while the tuner records value. Plug back into computer and it makes needed adjustments. Bike was running very nice! A bit cooler today so, I wore full leathers (jacket and my chaps & gloves) They told me that the one I normally go to is closed for renovations for 2 weeks! This one is in Hancock, NY right off interstate 17. Nice having the bike back together

8. GoodShave

Today I tried the Feather - Pro Super blade with the standard plate in my Hawk V3.
    It was a very efficient shave without being overly aggressive (at least to me).
    This was the efficiency I have been looking for from this razor.

I think I will try that blade with the A plate next.

9. GoodShave

Today, I shaved with the Hawk V3 using the A plate and the Feather - Pro Super blade.

I did a two pass shave with with touch ups in the mustache area to get the stubble directly under my nose. I had a few dots in the chin area and had a weeper directly under my nose. I had a little razor burn where the dots were and where the weeper occurred. BBS.

I think the standard plate works better for me with the Feather - Pro Super blade.

With the Feather Pro Super blade and the standard plate, the Hawk V3 is about as efficient as the Yates 921 with the H plate though I do think I have to do more work under my nose with the Hawk than with the Yates and probably get more razor burn with the Hawk (but that could be reduced with more practice).

jtspartan and Hogie like this.
  10. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I will get back to the hawk after I use up the GEM blade I am using now. Finish the month with it and my vintage SE razors. I plan on using the 1912 Star tomorrow and finish week with Featherweight and my GEM Damaskeene. Maybe I will do the final day of the month with the Hawk v3

GoodShave likes this.
  11. GoodShave

I was trying to decide which AC blades to order for the Hawk after my samples from TryABlade.com are done.
    I still have packs of other AC blades but the Feather Pro and Feather Pro Super sample blades seem to be the best performers so far with the Hawk.
    I decided to do a split shave with those two blades with the base plates that work the best for each one. Below are the details.

10/01/2022

Growth: 1.5 day beard.

Prep: No shower

Pre: Washed face with Stirling Glacial unscented pre-shave soap then reapplied before lathering.

Brush: RV 25 mm STF

Lather : Declaration Grooming - Taxes.
    Bowl lathered with Dirty Bird Pottery shave bowl.
    Used Dirty Bird Pottery brush scuttle to warm the lather.

Split shave, different blade and different base plate per side of face.

Right side:

Blade: Feather Pro Super (D4)
    Razor: Razorock Hawk V3
    Base Plate: Standard
    Handle: Razorock UFO

Left side:
    Blade: Feather Pro (D1.5)
    Base Plate: A
    Handle: Razorock UFO

Post: unscented Stirling witch hazel and PAA Mysterium Serum

I did two passes using the same directions on both sides. First pass the Pro Super gave me a weeper in the right corner of my mouth. After two passes, the sides felt identical except the Pro side had more stubble in the mustache area. I then added a W-E and and a S-N pass with the Pro blade to the left side of the mustache area. There still was some stubble so I buffed the left side WTG. The shave yielded the same result on both sides. I had razor burn on both sides of the mustache area. I probably could have avoided the razor burn on the left side of the mustache area if I had used different options on the passes so the extra buffing may not have been needed. The Pro Super with the standard plate definitely had more blade feel. I think I preferred the Pro blade/A plate better for this shave.

I also learned that without a shower, warming the lather with a scuttle works just as well for shaving as taking a shower before before the shave.

Hogie likes this.
  12. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I really like my scuttle to warm the lather too. Very nice on cool mornings.
    I try to limit the number of passes and have been rewarded with no burn or feedback from the alum bar.

If I do miss a little stubble, I simply leave it for the next shave since it normally isn't that bad. I would rather leave it than risk getting the burn!

Nice testing! Myself, I simply stick with the Feather Professional blade and I am happy with the result. Sometimes I will use a Mild blade (Captain Titan) with the Open Comb base plate.

GoodShave likes this.
  13. GoodShave

Thanks!

I will definitely consider leaving the stubble for the next shave. Since I normally don't shave every day, the A plate works better for me as it doesn't get caught in the stubble like the standard plate does. I tried the Kai Captain Titan Mild blade with the OC plate and maybe I should review my results and try it again.
    I think I will order more Feather Pro blades when my samples run out.

Hogie likes this.
  14. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I got brave today and used the Hawkv3 open comb plate with a Feather Professional blade. I normally use a mild blade. It was not too bad!

Razor - Hawk v3 with Open Comb plate
    Blade - Feather Professional (4)
    Pre-shave - Proraso RED
    Soap - Leviathan
    Brush - Classic Shaving synthetic
    Post-shave - Thayers Toner with witch hazel (unscented) & Leviathan Balm
    After-shave - Leviathan

I showered and warmed the Scupper mug and brush with HOT water while I was in. The Leviathan is a nice shave and the first thing I smell is the tobacco. I was brave and for my first time, I used a Professional blade in the Hawk open comb. I didn't do too bad. I did a 2-pass shave and got nice and close. WTG & ATG with no cleanup. I also did the top of my head but used my Gillette 1954 SS Flaretip. I ain't brave enuff to do with the Hawk open comb. I did get 3 nicks. Two on my neck and one on my chin. The alum bar took care of them. I did get minor feedback from the alum bar so, not as bad as I have before with this setup. It had been a while since I have used the Hawk so, I have slipped a bit with the technique using it. The balm is pleasant and so is the AS. I have to run to the bank and pick up 3 prescriptions so, I am ready for the world!

Theo didn't come into the bathroom but, stayed in the bedroom and jumped onto the bed and lay on his blankie. LOL

I hope all have a pleasant shave today!

DSCN0634.JPG

GoodShave likes this.
  15. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Razor - Razorock Hawk v3 open comb
    Blade - Feather ProGuard blade (5) I put the wrong blade pack out!
    Pre-shave - Proraso White
    Soap - Ogalalla Bay Rum (bloomed)
    Brush - Simpson T1 Trafalgar (smallest one)
    Post-shave - Thayers Toner with witch hazel & Proraso balm
    AS - Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum

I took a quick shower after getting the garage all squared away. Warmed the scupper mug and brush. Pleasant shave with the ProGuard blade. Nice and close shave WTG & ATG. No cuts, nicks, or weepers! Alum bar was silent. I reeally like the smell of the Bay Rum soap and the Pinaud AS works well with it.

DSCN0642.JPG

Ron R, jtspartan and GoodShave like this.
  16. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Oct 20th
    RR OC V3 Hawk w Feather Pro (1)

Used mine today for the first time in a long time. On the thread someone asked for the difference between a V2 and a V3. The V2 Aluminum was far too light, imho. I don't have a standard plate V3, but I do find the V3 OC quite rough. I don't think it is a meat cleaver by any means, just that it doesn't produce a smooth, mindless shave. That being said, I don't think I've ever bitten myself with it either. A well-built, quality shaver that asks you to keep on your toes a bit.
    I have only ever used Feather Pros in it and in the V2, fwiw.
    aujyuyu.jpg

Herm2502, Ron R and GoodShave like this.
  17. GoodShave

RR_Hawk_MH_SR_Folding_SSS_RV.jpg
    11/30/2022
    Growth: Two day beard.
    Prep: Warm shower: Stirling Sheep bar soap
    Pre: Stirling unscented pre-shave soap
    Brush: Rudy Vey 25 mm STF
    Lather : PAA Supreme Sandalwood Science shaving soap (CK-6 formula)
    Bowl: Captain's Choice standard copper shave bowl (rolled edged)

Base Plate: A
    Handle: Muhle chrome (came with my Muhle R89)
    Blade: Feather Professional (D2.5)

Razor: Feather Artist Club Super Razor (SR) folding AC-style razor
    Blade: Feather Professional (D2.5)

I had read that somebody somewhere really liked using the Razorock Hawk V3 with a light handle, so I pulled out my lightest handle I have which was the handle that came with my Muhle R89 (my first DE razor). This definitely makes the razor head-heavy but also lets the razor head do the work for you with no added pressure from a heavier handle.I had a very pleasant two-pass shave. This may be the best shave so far with the Razorock Hawk V3. It was pretty efficient.

elektrotasil, Ron R and jtspartan like this.
  18. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

19. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Hi Friends,

Since today i am a proud member of the „Hawk“-Club. Today i received my V3 with the Standard Plate. Bought it with the „Merkur 34c // HD“ handle and bought the Halo Handle with 82mm separately. I LOVE the look of the Halo handle. Feels fantastic, really well balanced and the grip is outstanding.

Moments ago i had my maiden voyage. Belly shave. I am absolutely stunned. Used the Feather Pro and was extremely surprised on how the Hawk tamed these blades which i normally don ´t like at all. My favorite here is normally the KAI Captain Titan Mild. But this was SO good…The shave was absolutely precise. The angel is very easy to find and to maintain, the razor is SO smooth and gentle. And VERY thoroughly. When the shave felt that good even on my belly, than i have high hopes for my first Face-shave on Sunday. Man does that shave felt good… EDF47670-20AC-4EDB-B939-4DC0A76B2088.jpeg

Cannot wait for the shave…:love029::love029::love029:

Greetings
    Thorsten

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024 at 3:29 PM
    Ron R likes this.