Re-knotted a Solid Set brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by HoosierTrooper, Jun 13, 2014.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I haven't done any brushes for awhile, but I ran across this Solid Set and really liked it, as did the previous owner judging by how worn down the original knot is. My grandson helped me restore one last year that he gave his dad, my son, for fathers day and he wanted to do another one this year so he did all the work on the lettering, setting the knot and polishing the handle and will be giving it to his dad this year.

We replaced the knot with an 18mm TGN Finest Badger, repainted the lettering with Testors white model car paint and polished up the handle with Mequiars Plastx.

Thanks for looking!

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Looks right out of the factory! Excellent job.
    And the added bonus of working with your grandson!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Great gift, and great memory. thas the kind of stuff you cant buy in stores. Its going to make one hell of a fathers day gift. thanks for sharing.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent work Tom! I did a similar handle in a different color scheme for a friend who really likes that rugged handle. "Dad" will be proud to use this!

6. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Tom, can you link me to that thread about relettering? :D

7. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I would think any dad would be most happy to receive such a gift!
    Very nice Tom!

8. HoosierTrooper

Thanks everyone! He's very artistic and enjoys doing these, looks like we might have started a tradition, at least for the next couple of years.

Gary, were the letters painted on the one you did? I initially thought these were, but after scrubbing with a toothbrush what I thought was black paint turned out to just be built up dirt, apparently they didn't fill in the lettering when it was made. I debated leaving it unpainted but decided to go with the white so my grandson would have more to do, plus I think it adds to the overall look of the finished brush.

Dapper, HERE YOU GO

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Bobcat like this.
  9. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Great as always Tom!! A 3-generation Father's Day project!!

Looks great, and time well spent!

Bob

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Mine were still original paint so I did not have to do that level of work. The painted letter does improve the looks.

11. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

A nice tradition you have started there, and a great brush you've created.

12. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

@Hoosier Trooper-

:happy096:

13. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Another one brought back from retirement into active service, and looking darn good in the process! Nice work! I love seeing old brushes reincarnated and pressed into service...

14. HoosierTrooper

Thanks again everyone! My son loved the brush, and really loved knowing his son helped.