Recommendations for next SE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MikekiM, Oct 26, 2011.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I have a Gem 1912 which I use fairly often and find the shave is awesome but not for everyday. It's too much of a good thing. I have a few Treet blades that as yet have not tried and have limited my shaves to Gem blades.

What should my next SE be?

I would love to have closeness of Gem without the slight irritation.

Should the Treets be a better move than a different SE razor ? I haven't used them because they need to be dried after each shave to avoid rusting.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

2. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I have tried a few different SEs...not much selection really. I have owned and used the 1912, Lather Catcher, Featherwight, Valet Autostrop, and Schick Injector. Out of these the Injector is my favorite! I would recommend the Injector to you, especially if you are looking for more of an everyday razor. I have a type L and it it seems EXTREMELY mild but I have never gotten such good smooth shaves that were completely irritation free. I haven't tried this but I may be able to use it for back t back 3-pass shaves, which normally is a no-no for me. Another perk of the Injector for me is that I can shave in about half the time. I don't know why, but it feels so much better to use and I can just zip around with it. The blades last longer too, and I have never really felt any tugging form the blades (Chinese Schick...I'll be ordering some of the personna ones soon). So yeah...you should consider an Injector.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thoughts...
    I can't stand Treet. But that's me.

When I first started using SEs, I could not do more than two days in a row. I would suffer from razor burn on that third shave every time. That was a while back. A few months ago I tried a week of SE shaving. Results? Fantastic shave; no burn. Why? Improved technique is all I can come up with.

As for the next SE to try? Any Gem type - MicroMatic Open Comb, Clog Pruf, Push Button. I have and like all of 'em.

4. MikekiM

Thanks gents!

I should have mentioned I have and use a PAL Injector Adjustable. Decent shave but it doesn't satisfy me emotionally like the vintage razors do.

I agree on the multiple days in a row with the SE and thaw what I meant by too much of a good thing. There is one spot on my left cheek that gets irritated and oddly it only happens with the 1912.

But I love the sound of the GEM as it cuts. It has that twang I recall from my Futur and Mergress.

I'll keep with it and maybe look for a LatherCatcher.

We don't have too much chatter about the SE blades... Any suggestions?

5. swarden43

Like I said, I don't like Treet blades.
    I really like Gem. The nice thing is that our ShopRite carries them.

6. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I have a Push Button and an Ever Ready 1912, and between the 2 I find the Push Button to be the superior shaver by far. Not sure why, but my 1912 irritates more and shaves less close. Due to rave reviews I will eventually get the MMOC and Lather Catcher. Two years ago, taking overwhelming advice from the Den, I ordered 200 Gem SS PTFE's from Ted Pella and have been super satisfied ever since.

7. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

The razors I would try if the goal is to shave daily with an SE would be the Featherweight, Heavy Flat Top (aka G-Bar), micromatic Flying Wing (aka Bullet Tip), micromatic Clog Pruf.

As for blades I agree with the above comment on Pella. I also ordered 200 of the PTFE coated SE blades & the are excellent.

8. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I prefer the Treet/Gem Blue Star and CVS carbon steel blades over the stainless blades. It does take a few seconds to dry them off but it's not a big deal at all, I just lay the blade on a hand towel and fold it over the blade and pat it dry. As to what to try next any of the suggestions already made would be good, I'd also suggest a 1914 or 1924 style Ever-Ready. I love the 1914's.

Also, I would consider the Pal injector a vintage razor, they haven'tbeen made for for several year.

9. MikekiM

PAL as a vintage? Okay, let's call it vintage-ish.

Are the Ted Pella blades still available ??

If so would someone PM me the contact info?

10. SharpSpine

Ted Pella link directly to the PTFE coated SE blades.

11. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Not sure what to suggest, as I would consider the 1912 a good everyday razor. Maybe the Gem Pushbutton or G-Bar, which are a touch less aggressive, but I really do prefer the 1912s. A Clog-Pruf Micromatic is also worth a try.

And of course, there are injectors, which are my favorites, but that's kind of a separate category. They have a single cutting edge, but then, so do straights and Bic disposables.

I'm using up my remaining Treet and CVS (apparently the same) blades before going back to the Gem stainless ones. I can't get the carbon steel blades to last as long, even with drying, but the quality of the shaves is about the same for me while they last. My sizable stock of shave quality blades are apparently the same kind that Pella and EMS carry, but I got them from other sources. Some were from an Amazon dealer who no longer carries them, and the rest were from razorblades and more. That last was more expensive than the Pellas, but I was able to combine it with enough other stuff that I wanted to get "free" shipping.

12. swarden43

Get 'em here at TSD!

13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

PAL blades and razors date back to 1929 starting with their DE blades and razors. American Safety razor, aka GEM, aka Personna, bought the brand in the 1950s and released injector blades and razors at that time under the PAL name. Definitely such a thing as vintage PAL. :)

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have the same issue with the 1912. I am not very fond of it. Of the SE's I have tried, the OCMM is probably my favorite. I get great shaves from it and nice examples can easily be found on the cheap. Micromatic ClogPrufs shave similarly to the OCMM and are easier to clean. I have a Gem Jr Bar lather catcher and it is nice for a change of pace every so often. It is a mild shaver and takes an extra pass over the ocmm. Im also a fan of the Gem SS PTFE blades.

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

If the PAL's not vintage enough for you try a Schick Repeater, those are vintage and futuristic at the same time... or maybe the D, or an E type that opens would give you that vintage vibe...
    Or if you are just not in the mood for an injector, I've always thought the Lather Catchers had a great time machine thing happening...Some models are just stunning, while some look like a divice from the Spanish Inquisition that would be sure to make you confess...:) But I believe all LC's are a way too much fun for us adults to be having...LOL...But hey no one around here will turn you in...

16. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I like the Treet blades better than the stainless Gem blades.
    I like my Gem Travel razor, Gem Junior, and bullet tip MM about equally.

17. MikekiM

Okay guys... I clarify myself.. my PAL isn't what I would call vintage.. not by it's age or it's appeal.

Dale, I may be wrong, but I think it was you who originally said "too much of a good thing".

I am going to hang in with the 1912 and work on my technique and give another blade or two a go. But after after looking around a bit, I am keeping my antenna's up for a Lather Catcher and a Micromatic Open Comb.

18. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I shave more with an SE that any DE razor. Do like the injectors. As far as another SE goes I prefer the vintage Lathercatcher style SE over the '12 GEMs. Now the '12 GEMs are great razors.

I think that you might have less of a problem using the Ted Pella SE blades as suggested above. Why not patronize the TSD Store and get a pack of 5 and try them out before you go investing in another SE razor.

As for the OCMM, Featherweight, and other newer SEs just don't cut it. I have found a couple Injectors that I like and use often too. A '48 Eversharp-Schick G1 and a '73 Schick Stick Injector (I owned one of these when they were sold originally.).

Whatever you decide on I hope all goes well with the SE shaving. To me they are best razors for doing the job.

SharpSpine likes this.
  19. SharpSpine

I just wish those gorgeous lather catchers were easier to "catch"! I can't wait to use one one day to see first hand why they get the rave reviews that they do.