Reconditioned espresso machine - good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by soulshine, Oct 27, 2008.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Interesting. I may have to just measure it though. Usually the ones with 2 sides are both the 53 and 58. When using a non pressurized machine the tamp is to compress the coffee but also to create a seal between the coffee and the sides of the basket. I'll have to figure this all out. I'm also working out the correct grind for the coffee. The grind I have right now is a bit bigger than usual and gives me a 15 second or so double. Its got alot of crema but also a lot of blonding. I'm spending uber time working out the perfect shot from this thing.

2. JayKay

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/jklepfis/?action=view&current=MVI_1119.flv

Thats is the 15 second extraction I've consistently been getting from my machine. The coffee was ground a few weeks ago from a local roasting company. I'll probably stop in today and pick up a couple different grinds because I'm not ready to invest in a great grinder yet. I'm thinking of getting a hand grinder though.

3. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

My shots don't settle as fast as yours. Don't know if that means anything...

4. JayKay

I did a bunch of searching around the web. The conclusion is that too quick and too blonde = grind finer. My friend brought the beans home and I'm not sure if he didnt mention or the guy at the store screwed up but they deffinetly werent fine enough. I'll go out tonight and pick some more up and check it out.

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

If you ever need any odds and ends......parts etc....this place is great.
    Fast shipping and great customer service.....pretty good prices too ;)

The JoeGlo works great for cleanings too and will last for ever :)

Here's another great place for parts.

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Could be you need a harder tamp /press harder when tamping as well, maybe in place of the finer grind....Fresher beans will yield more crema and usually don't need to be ground as fine as older beans....

7. JayKay

Thanks Neale. I'll have to email them and ask for the portafilter size of the aroma. Theyve got good prices on tamps.

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Cool, I have purchased from espressoparts a few times, great service. I bought a Bumper tamp.....it has been great and is built like a tank. :cool:

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

10. JayKay

Thanks! I knew I saw it somewhere but for the life of me just couldnt remember where.

11. Padron

Padron Active Member

No problemo, espressoparts has some cool 53mm tampers in flat or convex....I have a Bumper convex shaped one which works well with the screen on the Anita
    .....we always use a double shot basket.

Sorry for the highjack Soulshine :o Coffeetalk....no big woop :)

12. JayKay

I'll probably throw down for a convex when I get one. I'm still jealous of the anita. Is it a double boiler or a heat exchanger?

13. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

I use fresh water every morning but what do you gents do about the water left over in the clear plastic tube that goes from the water tank to the boiler? Is there any way to get that outta there?

14. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

15. JayKay

If I were you I would just fill the tank and leave it. Theres no reason to be constantly unloading it and refilling it every morning. I wouldnt start pushing water out of the tube because it will start requiring an initial priming and the boiler could run dry. Or air bubbles could appear and nothing will come out of the boiler till the air bubble resolves it self. If you have really hard water and your worried about mineral buildup you could use distilled water and than run a cleaner through it every few months.

16. Padron

Padron Active Member

I am pretty sure it's an HX machine with a e61 grouphead....I don't know if Quickmill makes a double boiler or not....maybe the Andreja? not sure....

Great machine, no problems and no regrets :)

17. JayKay

Unfortuantely I dont think anybody makes a 52mm tamp. 53s are easy to find, but im trying to find one for under $20

18. JayKay

I think I read way to far into HX and temperature surfing and all the stuff to properly control the temperature that it made me prefer double boilers. But their all out of my price range for the next many years that doesnt matter :D

19. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hmm,

not sure, I fill ours with filtered water when needed and try not to let it go empty :o

Good call on the 53mm tamper fitting tight...I would research them and read some reviews for your specific machine and find out what others like / recommend.

20. JayKay

I've been going through reviews and the whole 9 yards and nobody mentions their portafilter size or tamp size, only that they like their finer grinds lightly tamped.