Reconditioned espresso machine - good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by soulshine, Oct 27, 2008.

1. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

2. Padron

Padron Active Member

Here's a 53mm tamp for $29, looks good....maybe try and find a review or call them and ask how it fits the basket you use......

Wholelattalove sells it too, they can tell you if it fits, or recommend one ;)

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Thanks guys. looks like I'll go with a 53

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

Call them first and make sure they say it fits well with your basket ;)

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Oh and there are a lot of 52mm tamps at espressoparts.com.......just not at the $20 pricepoint :(

6. JayKay

I'll have to give em a call and check. Its not an immediate necessity as the tooth pick container works rather well for the job. Maybe I'll just fill it with something heavy and superglue the top on.

Neale, can you take a closeup of your steam wand? I'm considering buying a replacement steam arm for another machine and welding it onto the pre-existing arm. Currently the arms pretty short and not too great without the easy frothing tip. But its pretty hard to make microfoam with the easy froth tip, if its possible at all.

7. JayKay

Never mind. I need to take the machine apart and see how the steam arm is attached. Maybe I can just get a replacement like the silvas steam arm.

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Ours just has the "Old" style non flexible stock unit :( I think the new ones have a different valve and have the flexible wand. It has a 2 hole tip....

Sorry, the machine is dirty :o and the photos were poor :(

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. JayKay

I appreciate it. Thanks alot. The 2 holes are on the tip right? Its a little hard to see in the picture and my contacts need to be taken out. I think the hole on the end of the wand is just too large to be used by it self for the aroma.

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

Yes sir, your eyes are fine.....I used my point and shoot and it wouldn't focus on the small tip..:o

Yes, the tip has two holes spaced maybe a mm or 2 apart......and it works well with this machine. I do know they make some 3 hole tips, but it has been a long time since I was doing my research on them....

11. JayKay

I believe there are many different tips from 1-4 holes, acorn shaped heads, no-burn steam wands, etc. I just spent a while practicing on my machine and got some pretty good foam. But not amazing microfoam. Closest I've ever bin to microfoam. I need to buy a thermometer as well.