red or blue pill down the rabbit hole

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Double Edge Dougy, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Thought it would be appropriate to post this in the good life thread. I wanted to ask what other disorders have been caused be RADs. I mean i stumbled on this forum looking for an aftershave...next thing i know ive got more soaps, scents, creams, and razors than i thought any sane person should have.

It got me thinking about adding colognes which i previously gave up after high school.

Then i started thinking about what else have i been missing out on.....after a thread read it hit me: watches! Havent worn one since i had a cell phone, but i really enjoy them again.

Then i thought what about relaxing hobbys...then the pipe of the day thread hit me...it was easy enough i had one in college but didnt know anything about good tobaccos till you guys started discussing it

Next might be coffee...i know i could get a better beew but i just havent wanted to invest in that new rabbit hole.

I think for me, society wants us to speed up and up and up. Its nice to actually enjoy these small pleasures also companies might have us believe new expensive technology might be better but as we all know that isnt always the case.

It can all be boiled down for me by the title of an article regarding pipe smoking. "The gentle art of pipe smoking" the title alone says so much about smoking a pipe and so much about any activity. It reminds us, slow down, experience it, enjoy it. I think the title can be transfered to so many other things "the gentle art of shaving" "the gentle art of smoking meat" "the gentleart of brewing coffee"

One reason i enjoy the den is it opens alot of discussion on possible areas to improve quality, and alot of times at a decrease in costs.

So which other hobbys have you developed due to your den involvement?

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I can't really say I've picked up any additional hobbies from the forum, but several members here have enhanced my enjoyment of the stuff I was already doing. The vast array of knowledge on TSD is amazing, and virtually everyone I've ever interacted with has been clearly driven by a love of the subject matter. The passion on the Forum really shines brightly.

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Other things caused by my shaving hobby...
    An obsession with keeping my kitchen knives razor sharp.
    The joys of owning fine fragrances.
    An obsession with appearing in public only after the daily grooming ritual.
    An appreciation for fresh roasted Sumatran coffee.
    A degree of knowledge about the gentle art of the brush maker's craft that would startle most people.

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Your so correct the DEN is a VERY diverse and interesting place.:happy088:
    Don't smoke anymore open heart surgery finally gave me the push to quit, 40+ years of cigarettes wrecked my heat and arteries.:(
    I've picked up a very small fountain pen addiction(collecting and using), cooking in cast iron frying pans and SS multi clad pots instead of cheap, disposable non-stick pots and pans, an interest in trying different types coffee(not into roasting and grinding as of now), even an interest in using sporks.:)

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

6. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Fountain pens. Way better nail clippers. Storage ideas.

Really the last one is out of necessity but I have some cool cabinets and wood tool boxes with shaving to thank for them.

7. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I used fountain pens before I jumped into DE shaving. My taste for coffee went away and now I brew and drink hot tea every day. I keep our kitchen knives very sharp. I'm not sure I would have gone to tea drinking without a little "encouragement" from around here. I would not have found waterstones without this joint.

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Ack! Get thee behind me foul temptress!

( I don't even grind my own yet and here I'm looking at roasting!)

9. swarden43

Less than a half hour, start to clean-up, to roast half a pound - what I roast for my weekend treat.

10. richgem

You're not helping!

(And I just bought a Hario hand grinder on Amazon. /sigh)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

DE shaving > Straight razor shaving > straight razor restoration.

12. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Don't start on coffee pots. I have 36 different devices (only four of which are modern), from a 100-year-old "Ideal" immersion pot to three moka pots to vintage dripolators to a 36-cup Faber urn. I ran out of space on my shelves n the credenza, on top of the dresser, and what little space I share in the pantry.

13. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

That makes me feel better about my ADs lol

Bama Samurai and richgem like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Like you, I found this forum looking for info about wet shaving and got lots of ADs. The biggest obsession I got was the forum itself. I'm close to 3000 posts in a year. Kind of over the top, isn't it?

ob1page and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  15. richgem

Amateur! :D

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

At this rate I'll pass you by the time I hit four years

richgem likes this.
  17. richgem

Shall i take a break until you catch up? ;)

18. swarden43

Harumph. Rookies.

:D

ob1page, mrchick and richgem like this.
  19. richgem

Should we also get off the lawn?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    ob1page, mrchick and swarden43 like this.
  20. swarden43

Darn kids!

ob1page and mrchick like this.