Red Tip SS - US/England

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bronco, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Although I have had both of these razors for some time, I hadn't really examined them closely until recently. The one on the left is a 1959 RT and the one on the right is a RT of the same era made in England. The US weighs in at 2.25 oz and the English weighs 2.50 oz. The length is the same when closed. When open the English razor shortens into the handle while the US razor remains the same length. The thread mechanism on the US is longer as it takes more turns to open. The English version, a little heavier and not as "loose" as the US version gives a better shave. IMHO
    [vbpg]455[/vbpg]
    The head of the English razor sits a little taller.
    [vbpg]456[/vbpg]
    The blade compartment is almost the same except for the notch and the crimp holding the handle to the head.
    [vbpg]457[/vbpg]
    Here's a better shot of the notch. The English razor just has a little cut and the US razor is a sandwich with a larger blade notch.
    [vbpg]458[/vbpg]

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Thanks Steve, I'll check these pics against the red tip that came in my box of various razors.

3. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Excellent photos. My impression from owning and using several is that the English versions of US Gillettes are heavier, sturdier, and better made. Not sure why that is, but it may be that in England, especially after WWII, things were made to be kept forever rather than quickly replaced.

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Any time you want to sell that Brit red tip, drop me a line. :D