Redpocket mobile anyone?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by richgem, Jul 9, 2021.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've been seeing a lot of commercials lately for Red Pocket mobile (redpocket.com). On line reviews seem mostly good with some snafus that are perhaps now dated. Before I possibly take the plunge, does anyone have any actual experience with them? Pricing seems really good and all the major networks are supported, which is kind of an issue for me since I get coverage only with Verizon where I am.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

b1hart and PanChango like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have never heard of them before your posting here. If you do find out first hand experience, please post it here.

I would be able to save a considerable amount each month, but it wouldnt be a deal if the network is crap.

richgem likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm with Dale. Never heard of 'em.

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I've heard of them but never used them.

Probably like all of the other mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) companies:
    as long as the service works and you don't need customer service, you should be good. I've used a few MVNO companies before - Cricket (owned by AT&T), Straight Talk (uses Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile networks), Google Fi (uses T-Mobile and UScellular) networks), Visible (owned by Verizon) and currently using Xfinity (Comcast) Mobile which uses Verizon network.

Here's a good review on Red Pocket, albeit a little outdated as Sprint is no more since merging with T-Mobile and DISH TV ended up owning Sprint's MVNO Boost Mobile.
    https://clark.com/technology/red-pocket-mobile-review/

richgem likes this.
  5. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

That's the first I have heard of them also. I'm currently with metro pcs ( now metro by t- mobile ) my wife and I have been with metro for quite a few years now and we have an old plan which gets us unlimited talk text and data for 50 dollars a month for both lines including All taxes and fees . They have been really good in our area and on our travels ( pre pandemic). We haven't traveled since all this began..

6. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

I have heard some decent things about Mint mobile but have never used them..

7. richgem

looks like I might come back to this idea in 6 mo or so. Too many conflicting reviews on line.

Thanks all for the help.

PanChango likes this.
  8. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

A little late to the thread....but, have you looked at Verizon's 'no storefront' service using Visible? It's completely online/chat/email/app signup, using Verizon's network, Like Metro uses TMobile network. Many current phones you can transfer over, or they have their own to purchase.

We have 6 phones in our 'party', and unlimited everything for $25/line. FWIW, they do have a data cap that starts throttling, but even with a couple of our phones hitting ~10gb/month in data sometimes, haven't felt that in issue in reality.

Pricing goes down per phone in your party (starts @$40/line for one phone), and it's even available to join someone's 'party' setup if you don't even know them....but, be aware, they'll know if you late pay/don't pay, as everyone in the party gets the notification that their pricing is going to go up because 'xyz in the party' hasn't paid.

TMobile, Verizon, AT&T have pretty great coverage/speed nearly everywhere I've tested over the major cities in Texas, but the one place Verizon/Visible beats them is at my house......AT&T/TMobile only work when standing near the kitchen window. And this in the middle of DFW suburbia.

richgem likes this.
  9. richgem

Thanks for all that info! I will look into visible. I heard something about them a while ago but never looked into them beyond a few reviews.

b1hart likes this.
  10. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

The only gotcha we had with moving from TMobile to Visible is with the voicemail service. Phone numbers crossed no problem. 2 phones transferred to the new voicemail service seamlessly, 1 was a PITA, 3 others not so bad. Had to call (forgot they do have a call in support system). Took a bit on the first problematic phone to get the VM initiated (30 minutes on phone), but the other 3 happened real quick (~10 minutes) once I could walk the 'tech' on the other end though the steps the first tech did.

No real problems since, other than forgetting to update a CC expiration date on the kiddos phones earlier this year, hence why I know how quickly notifications come for the 'party' pay discount when autopay fails.

11. richgem

Good to know thanks. I would be moving from Verizon so maybe the switchover would be completely without issue.

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Some of the big cable companies now offer cellular phone service to current customers. I don't have cable but my internet service comes from Comcast/Xfinity so I moved from Verizon to their Xfinity Mobile (after being with Visible or only one week, more about that below), which also uses Verizon's network. $45 unlimited everything including 5G for one line, $80 for 2 lines, $100 for 3 lines, $120 for 4 lines. From what I have seen, all of the cable companies offering cellular service are using the same pricing structure so it wouldn't hurt to check with your local cable company if you are already a customer using their other services such as TV, internet, home phone, etc.

Verizon owns Visible. After fighting with Visible for a week, I left them and headed to Xfinity Mobile. During my one week with Visible, I could receive calls and texts but I could not call out or send texts. Their tech support could not figure out what was going on, kept telling me everything was provisioned correctly and please wait another 24 hours... A week of that was enough.

b1hart, richgem and brit like this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Watch your step, Rich. It's no small feet to keep up with technology advancements. I'd have to walk a mile in your shoes to give the best advice. Until then, I'd just say pick one and run with it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.png

:scared003:

IAmTheJody and b1hart like this.
  14. richgem

wristwatchb likes this.
  15. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Localized phone issue, tech support should have recognized this. APN/SIM info didn't completely transition all the settings correctly in the process when initializing the new Visible SIM card.

Visible does frequent app and APN updates (at least in the case for our area). You'll get a very subtle message that 'New Carrier Settings are Available' from time to time on iOS, not sure on Android anymore. It's better to accept them, then reboot. If you dismiss the notification, it may take awhile to reappear (days). A few months ago, the 5G (ok, technically 4G faster) service started working in areas of DFW and Texas after an APN update.

Disclaimer: Previous life = BSEE in network engineering (dabbled in early cellular tech)

wristwatchb, IAmTheJody and richgem like this.
  16. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

wristwatchb and IAmTheJody like this.