Removing Rust from Safety Blade Guards/Doors

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Smedley, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I recently got some vintage Gillettes in a lot, and they look really nice except for some rust on the interior of some of the blade guards and TTO doors.

If a Maas rub doesn't get rid of it completely, what are my options? I have a Dremel equivalent with all the attachments and pastes, but am not sure which treatment is best in this situation. Would a fine grit sandpaper wielded by hand be better?

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

a) are you sure it's rust and not brassing?
    b) if it is rust, I'd be very careful, not to harm the surrounding crome plating. I'd use the dremel at very slow speed and with the finest tools so you can treat the affected spots only.
    c) good luck :D

3. Groundhog

Groundhog New Member

If the rust is minor, try CLR cleaner. For heavier deposits, try Birchwood Casey rust remover. I have used both with excellent results. CLR is readily available at Walmart and ACE Hardware. The Birchwood Casey Rust & Bluing Remover is a gun cleaning product available at sporting goods and gun stores.

I suspect naval jelly would also work as well, since it contains phosphoric acid just like the Birchwood Casey stuff. It's available at most auto parts stores. Since you are dealing with acid, just be careful about spills and other finishes. You might want to wear rubber gloves also. I usually use Q-tips to apply.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den Groundhog!

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.