Replate or not help??

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by kjbarth, Sep 24, 2019.

1. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

I’m not really a proponent of replating vintage razors except for razors that may degrade if not protected by the plating. Just my opinion, what people do with their own razors is their own business.

Anyway, I’ve got a LeCoq Licence Palmer that’s in ok shape but is missing almost all of the plating on the baseplate and some plating on the cap. I would be tempted to try replating myself save for a few facts (1) never replated anything before, not that this would stop me (2) have no replating equipment, not that this would stop me (3) there are multiple metals on this razor and that complicates things (4) I don’t want to screw up or ruin the razor.

So my question is this. Can anyone recommend an EXCELLENT resource/vendor to properly replate this razor?? Or someone I can talk to about replating this razor?? Currently it’s got a brass or bronze cap with chrome or nickel plating, a zinc (I think) baseplate and handle with chrome or nickel plating, a steel spring (I think) with a brass or bronze ferrule at the top to provide pressure on the cap, a brass or bronze turn knob partially plated with chrome or nickel.

Your help in providing a recommendation is appreciated

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike, brit and RyX like this.
  2. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Yes, the cap is brass and the plating is chrome. The plate and handle are zamac. Zamac is a zinc aluminum alloy. This is certainly beyond the capabilities of most hobby or jewelry plating businesses.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rev579, brit and kjbarth like this.
  3. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Just look up local plating businesses and start calling them. Tell them you have a small zamac part previously plated in chrome that you want stripped and replated. If they decline ask them to refer you to someone.

Rev579, brit and kjbarth like this.
  4. kjbarth

Thank you. Will look for local business to see if they can handle this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

So that is what it looks like. I am not a fan of replating myself. If it is not degrading I say shave with it.

kjbarth and brit like this.
  6. kjbarth

Ok, so it's been a couple weeks that I spent contacting some local replating businesses and then not getting any replies. Several of the mail away razor centric replating/refurbishing businesses aren't able to do this work. Just this morning I started re-contacting the local businesses again and I was able to find one business that is not too far away say that they could do the work if I completely take the razor apart and any pieces I don't want plated I not bring them. They will strip, polish, and replate in either chrome or nickel - my choice. I'd prefer nickel but this razor was originally chrome plated and I"m thinking I'd like to stay as original as I can (replate not withstanding).

So I have a couple questions to those who are familiar with this razor, LeCoq Licence Palmer....

1. Does the spring at the top of the handle/plate come out? Mine seems to be in there pretty good; I don't want to ruin the spring trying to pull it out by over pulling/forcing it out and warping the spring. Any ideas how best to remove the spring without ruining it?

2. The "gauge" on knob that goes on the bottom of the handle (see pics with original post) and screws everything together seems to be part of that bottom knob. This "gauge" is brass and not plated (at least on mine is not plated) and the knob is plated. I've seen video's of this razor where that "gauge" is loose and rotates freely apart from the knob. Is that how this should work? Should I be able to remove that "gauge" from the knob? If so, what is the best way to separate the "gauge" from the knob??

Carbide Mike and brit like this.
  7. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I imagine much of this is press fit ( i don't know for sure)

Press fit is hard to dismantle without damage. Perhaps the use of a jewellers gas iron might help?

kjbarth likes this.
  8. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Have you seen poor plating jobs? Have you shaved with a razor that has been replated? Replating is really tricky. There are a handful of factors that complicate this task.
    1. Consider the thickness of a blade for one moment. Look at the differences between the blade gap of a variety of adjustable razors. This difference is often measured most accurately with a micrometer, not a caliper. Once this is established, you must consider what the specs will be after removing the plating and how much material is lost and how the specs change. Once you apply the new plating, the dimensions and specs will shift.
    2. Removing Chrome is one plating(Silver and Rhodium are others) that requires additional work in order to do it properly. You might ask why the razor replaters don't replate with Chrome.
    3. Zamac presents it's own challenges.

brit and kjbarth like this.
  9. kjbarth

Yes I have seen poor plating jobs.
    Yes I have shaved with a razor that has been replated. RE replated a Henckels Rapide for me in rhodium. The job was OK but left a little to be desired. That is the only replating work I have had done. I purchased a fatboy that was replated in rhodium which looked like it was an OK job (paid < $50 for razor) and purchased a kirby beard that was replated in rhodium and was a pretty good job (paid < $100 for razor).
    The razor replaters that I contacted were not concerned about the chrome, but about the Zamak and couldn't replate the Zamak. This general replating business can replate the Zamak (that's what they tell me).
    I know chrome is not as durable as other plating materials but this will not be an every day shaver for me - will be a once in a while shaver. Primary reason to replate is to protect the Zamak. I may still replate in nickel. I will discuss this with the replating business.
    I won't use the razor as-is as I'm concerned about the Zamak and my damaging it. 90% of the original chrome plating is gone on the razor plate which is made from Zamak. Currently the Zamak is ok, no pitting or other damage that I can see by eye or under jewelers loupe.
    I like this razor and do not want to ruin it. I will hand deliver it to the replating business and personally speak to the operations manager and make sure they can do what I need done. If they can't, I won't replate it. This place does a lot of replating work; bumpers for vintage cars, old clocks, big jobs, small jobs, they seem to have experience and were recommended to me by another business that is a bigger business to business replater (i.e., does big replating jobs only).
    I do value people's opinions, especially if they have experience with this particular work. I definitely don't have all (or any of) the answers but I am trying to think of the possible mistakes and trying to avoid them if I can (well, other than 'it's a mistake to do this in the first place'). I do think this is possible - replating Zamak - until a replating expert tells me it's not. I hope a few more people chime in with opinions or things that I haven't thought of yet.
    As noted in my last post, I do need to complete disassembly of the razor, remove the spring and the gauge, if I can, without ANY damage to the razor. If I can't do this, I won't be replating it.
    And, another question -- Am I off base thinking I will ruin this razor if I use it? Considering the lack of plating protecting the razor plate currently..... This is an adjustable razor. The blade with this razor should not be against the razor plate or else there will be no shearing action. The blade is positioned/pressed against the cap by the spring and the blade gap is adjustable by screwing the cap towards the razor plate. My whole reason for replating is that I don't want to ruin the razor plate (Zamak). If I use this razor as-is occasionally (once a month, once per 2 months, even once per week) will I damage the razor plate??

Thanks for your comments.

Carbide Mike and brit like this.
  10. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

May i suggest that you just use it as is and enjoy it? You can protect any damaged plated surfaces with a touch of clear nail varnish.

178-bplatoon, brit and kjbarth like this.
  11. kjbarth

Ok, so I think I can close this out. Had a pm discussion with a couple members on another forum today. I think I understand things a little better than before and as long as I properly maintain the razor following each shave, remove the blade, clean and dry all parts, I shouldn't have an issue with it as-is. I may still re-plate at some point in the future but not until I can give the replating company an item made from Zamak as a test piece and see how they do replating it before I give them the razor.

brit likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm not even sure that is the issue.

Most places won't touch old Zamak. For example, a customer might bring in an old razor for replating. It looks "ok." After the old plating is removed, it's obvious that there were some hairline cracks in the original plating and seepage has caused heavy pitting in the underlying Zamak. Because it's made of pot metal, you can't braze over the pitting as though the razor were brass. Frankly, you can't braze it at all.

So you wind up with a janky, pitted razor that is now worth less than before the "restoration" project was introduced. And more than likely, you will believe the shop just destroyed your razor due to incompetence.

That's just one reason shops don't like replating zinc. They have others.