Review: Dorco Pace 3 (Mach 3 equivalent)

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by richgem, Feb 27, 2014.

1. TimNZ

TimNZ New Member

Cheeky third post so I can post the link to my review - I think it's valuable. Happy for a moderator to delete if not appropriate.

2. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

A very thorough and impressive review, following your link -- thanks for that. I thought the Dorco Pace II was pretty good for a twin blade, but I got spoiled by the Feather Neo III razor, and now all the other multi-blades (Schick and Gillette included) really don't satisfy me anymore.

I bought the Dorco Pace II twin blade system to be TSA compliant for carry-on bags. It was adequate, but no more. Then I read about the Feather and decided to upgrade -- WOW! such a difference.

I still use a double edge safety razor for almost every shave at home, and now Amazon is carrying the BiC METAL disposables that I used to travel with -- SO many decisions!

3. TimNZ

TimNZ New Member

If there are other good value razors, or even just great razors, you think I should add to the comparison tell me the names, I'll see if I can get hold of them. I've not been exposed to them, but interested to try / learn.

I did double edged for a while, with regular canned foam and the 34C, but I cut myself more and it took too long. I use it occasionally, but not often any more.

4. opsimath

A couple of interesting razors you might want to try TimNZ are the King of Shaves razor, and the Gillette Guard razor. As I mentioned earlier, the BiC METAL disposable razors are my favorite throw-away travel shaver -- unbeatable for carry-on bag razor IMO.

I am very glad that Amazon is selling them again -- I've not seen any in stores for years!

[​IMG] .............................[​IMG]

5. TimNZ

TimNZ New Member

Are they both basic double edged models? Not sure that it'd be worth my bother. I prefer the tilting head of a cartridge razor, makes things much easier.

6. opsimath

The Gillette Guard is a single edge, pivoting head, cartridge razor. I understand that it is TSA carry-on compliant.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

TimNZ likes this.
  7. TimNZ

TimNZ New Member

I took my 5 blade Gillette onto a plane here in New Zealand as carry on recently, no-one said anything. I wouldn't try that on international flights. I really only need razors to get from the supermarket to my house.

What's the main attraction of the GG in terms of shaving performance? Or is it value? 10c for a blade that should last a week is pretty cheap. Seems like it's made for India. Maybe worth investigating, if I can get hold of them :)

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hi Guys... can we keep this about the Dorco line, please? Thanks.

opsimath likes this.
  9. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I've used the Pace 3 with very good results. The Pace 4 didn't give me any better shave than the Pace 3 and was a bit too aggressive for some reason in that crease between my chin and lower lip. I'm currently testing the Pace 6 and while it's great on the flatter areas of my cheeks the head is too big under my lower lip and on my neck just beneath my chin. I have a tester of the 2 blade system on the way to see how it compares with the Trac II and Atra razors. So far I'm leaning toward the Pace 3 as the best overall shaver from Dorco. For the record I've tried Gillette Trac II and Atra carts and wasn't particularly impressed, I really hated the Sensor 3 which gave me the worst irritation I've experienced in decades. Most of all I think Gillette is a total rip-off with it's pricing and I refuse to pay.

10. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Update: Received the Dorco Comfort Thin II today, will try in in the AM. Initial reaction is it is very light compared to the other Dorco handles, more like a disposable (not sure I'll like that) but the latch mechanism seems secure with a positive open and lock function controlled by a slider, no springs.

11. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Final: The Comfort Thin II shaves well, better than the Personna Trac II and it gets those hard to shave areas around my chin. My conclusion is that we don't need 6 or 7 blades when 2 or at the most 3 blades in a cart provide just as good a shave. For those DE ans SE advocates, remember that I'm talking about a one pass shave not 3 or more passes to get a DFS.