Review: The General SE razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

In the increasingly competitive market of SE razors one small US based company - Colonial Razors - is attempting to make a big splash in a relatively large pond with their competitively priced, minimalistic SE razor:

The General
    [​IMG]
    Quick Data Points:
    Company: Colonial Razors

Model: "The General"
    Blade: Feather/Kai type of blades
    Material: Aluminum 6061
    Manufacturing process: CNC machined
    Color/Finish: Matte anodized/sandblasted black
    Handle length: 90mm and will take other handles
    Price: TBD but approx $79 / £54
    Availability: Late summer, 2016.
    How: First the wait list orders will be fulfilled then an estimated 100+ razors/month will be produced to fulfill new orders
    Where: To be created webstore

Future plans: Possibility of multiple plates to address different aggression levels.

Why "The General" one might ask?
    The name is referencing George Washington (who was General Washington during the Revolutionary war) and the handle design took some inspiration from the old cannon shapes. It also helps that the two brother behind this venture - Kirk and Kyle - are avid detectorists in PA where they scour the earth for colonial artifacts.

Disclaimer:
    This is a loaner razor that I'll be using for about a week before it get sent on its merry way.

First impressions
    I will be the first to admit that I am not typically an aluminum/light-weight razor kinda guy. I want to heft and weight to my shaving gear. I will have to say though that even though it's obviously is a lighter razor it feels very substantial.
    Feels good in the hand, well balanced (I'll try to post a finger-balancing photo later to show how it distributes the weight) and surprisingly attractive taking such a minimalist design into consideration.

Design
    I think I've already used the word 'minimalist' two-three times but that's what comes to mind when you're holding this razor. But even though the design can first been seen as very straightforward - simple even - once you look closer you'll see some rather clever design decisions that supports the overall clean appearance.

The handle, at first, comes across as very similar to the Standard DE razor but there are some design elements that, to me, elevates this handle a bit; the nicely 'cannon'-shaped tapering at the end of the handle (that actually feels very comfortable when holding it) and the gradual two-step tapering on the top of the handle that assists both in creating a comfortable hold as well as pushing some of the weight towards the head.

Tapering on top of the handle
    [​IMG]

Traditional three-piece design with a very even, nice matte black finish:
    [​IMG]

The head itself has a visually pleasing profile and on the inside the simple design theme continues as there are two small pegs - on the top cap - to place the blade and that's it.

Note: The stainless steel set screw you see in these photos is a prototype element only.
    The production razors will have machined threads.

Blade Loading
    As mentioned the blade is placed on two small pegs situated on the top cap that does a good job keeping the blade in place during the head assembly.

Top cap showing the two pegs
    [​IMG]

Blade resting on top cap
    [​IMG]

Even blade alignment
    [​IMG]

Some healthy blade exposure
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Competition
    The most natural comparison is to the Alumigoose but, since I don't have one I will use their stainless steel model to illustrate some differences between the two razors.

[​IMG]

The General's head is a just a tad shorter than the Mongoose's;
    [​IMG]

One distinct design difference becomes apparent when you look at the two base plates where the General, again, took a simpler path and went with a completely flat base plate on the bottom of it.
    The blade curve comes exclusively from the top cap and top of base plate (that is angled)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quality/Machining
    A very even finish, well machined with no gap or grinding when mounting the head.
    Well aligned and healthy blade exposure. The razor feels 'right' when handing it.

This might very well be the right razor for someone who is looking for a more lightweight SE option at what feels like a very fair price point

OK you enabling bastard - I like it how do I get one?
    Not available until late summer 2016 but, I believe, they are maintaining a wait list that will be fulfilled in the order people sign up.

How does it shave?
    I actually don't know yet but it's on the counter for tomorrow morning's two-day beard growth and I'll be posting a few shave reports to this thread this week.

[​IMG]
    Coming up next: Shave reports...

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Not bad looking razor, but not for me.
    But i am a detector, and do enjoy that alot. But ive got too many razors to go and get one with another style of blade.
    Im saving room in my bunch for a bunny, that will be my only exception.

Karl G, Carbide Mike and Darkbulb like this.
  3. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I'm liking that aggressive looking blade exposure. Could you do a photo of the exposure next to the Mongoose? Waiting on the shave report.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It's mild. Per Chris Bailey.

5. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I do wonder why they don't leave the set screw SS and just add a female Threaded SS tube sleeve in the handle to add longevity to the razor. I see lots of people selling their Aluminum razors such as Ikons, Standard razors and they are a giving heads up to the buyer that the threads are worn off and either they need to be rethreaded or IDK maybe a wrap around of plumbing tape would fix up the razor for a short period of time. I know this is doable, Merkur futur has brass threaded sleeve inside the handle to help with rusting and brass is more durable than aluminum. Now a SS set screw + SS threaded sleeve tube = long lasting razor no matter if the rest is made of aluminum. Don't say well its a airplane grade aluminum.... looks like even that grade aluminum has problems when it comes to screw in screw out actions, but adding these 2 features will increase the longevity of the razor, will bring up more interest amongst the shaving community and will still keep production cost at low.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

SHAVE REPORT # 1

Had my first shave with The General this morning where it had to deal with two days worth of beard growth.

Lathered up some Mickey Lee Soapworks soap's "Ruby's Green" (first time using it and have to say I was rather impressed by both scent and performance) and went to wor... shave.

First pass (WTG):
    Initial impression: This is a really quiet..and mild razor.
    As I continued my WTG shave the mildness of it really became apparent.
    I found myself moving along much quicker than I would had done with, I believe, any of the SE Feather/Kai razors that I own (with the possible exception of the Rocnel SE50 which is also on the mild side of things).
    It felt light in my hands (which wasn't a real surprise) but still substantial.

Second pass (ATG):
    Navigating around my face was really effortless. The handle is close to the ultimate length for me so that helped. I did however find that the tapering at the top of the handle did make it feel a bit too thin. I think ideally I would have liked for the handle to continue with the same thickness all the way to the head of the razor.

There were moments where I questioned if it shaved at all as I could not feel any blade and it's a relatively quiet razor - but when washing off the soap residue after my second pass I found that it had done a remarkable job getting me to a clean and close shave.

I need to do a closer comparison to the Rocnel SE50 as these two razors, to me, are in a class by themselves - they do not shave like any other SE Kai/Feather razors out there as they are both significantly milder than what's available today but still manage to deliver very clean, close shaves.
    The two does distinguish themselves when it comes to weight though with the Rocnel being a beast and the General being half(?) its weight.

If I had to get a quick, close shave in with no real fear of cutting myself - and wanted to use a SE Kai/Feather razor - I would reach for the General or Rocnel SE50. It would come down to weight/material preference.
    Funny thing is - they are both priced about the same (Rocnel SE50: $85 and The General: $79).

TL;DR:
    A lightweight - yet substantial feeling - razor that is very mild but efficient.
    Handle, for me, would benefit from being same thickness all the way to the head.
    If you love the idea of SE Kai/Feather razors but feel they are too aggressive this might be the one for you.
    If you, on the other hand, like heavy, audible and more aggressive razors this might not be your ticket to shaving nirvana.

Can't wait to try it out more this week.

[​IMG]

jeraldgordon, Tdmsu, youngunn and 8 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Great review. Keep them coming.

Carbide Mike and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I'm slightly disappointed how mild this is. I was hoping for some aggression with that healthy blade exposure.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Great review. Thanks.

10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

great review thanks for the info

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@Darkbulb
    Nice review! Excellent work as usual.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Great review Darkbulb. Thank you.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Great Review!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

Please excuse the necro-post, but I thought this belonged here rather than in a new thread.

I have one of the batch one Generals. It is one of the batch that has the manufacturing flaws, but I can't see any flaws with the naked eye.

The General is a great shaver. I have used it 5 times now with a Feather Pro blade. Every shave has been great. The blade fits tight with no alignment issues. The razor is mild, efficient, and extremely lightweight. The handle is comfortable in my hand and so far has not felt slick or unsafe even once. I have been doing two-pass shaves with it using TOBS Cedarwood cream and have been getting close to BBS. My face is still smooth in the late afternoon after using this razor. I can't wait to try it with some other blades.

I don't think there is anything bad for me to say about this razor. There is something to be aware of, however. The weight (mine clocks in at 44 grams) takes a bit of time to get accustomed to. It could be easy to use too much pressure with this razor when switching from something heavier.

This razor is a steal at $60.

Tdmsu and Darkbulb like this.
  15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I think my Alumigoose weighs about the same. I enjoy the lightweight, feels more like an over sized injector.

16. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

That is a very good analogy. Shaving with the General is like shaving with an Injector, only with a wider blade and a rounded head.

Redfisher likes this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Had my first shave today with the General /Super and while I prefer a razor with more feedback I can't complain about the shave a bit. Absolutely superb. Needs a grippy handle for sure.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Tdmsu, PickledNorthern and Darkbulb like this.
  18. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

I may have missed it, but does it come in any other finish or just black?
    Bill

Redfisher likes this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It used to be only in black but they have added a silver version now as well: https://colonialrazors.com/
    In five days, Nov 25, they'll be having a sale btw - $44 for the black razor model

Sale info:

"Hello All,

We want to announce a limited quantity pre-order sale of The General (Black). We will start the pre-order on Black Friday 11/25 at 12:00 AM ET and will expire on Cyber Monday 11/28 at 11:59 PM ET. If the limited quantity is met, the pre-order may end sooner. This pre-order will be priced at $44.24 + shipping (25% discount).

Don't miss the chance to experience the smoothest shaver at an epic price!

We hope to earn your business during this time!"

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I really like the General a lot. Id say it's one of my favorites, so good I've put my Alumigoose away. You won't go wrong with this razor. Nice write-up @Darkbulb